the simplest film camera

Self-timer might be a consideration or at least one of them grippy table top tripods...

have a good one
3Eo

I would go with an Olympus Trip 35 if you can find one.

I got mine from a thrift store for less than $5 in a group buy type thing.

Its batteryless, Mechanical wind, manual zone focusing, very small, built like a tank, good glass, and it just looks cool in black. It also has a built in meter that has worked very well for me, Ive yet to try slide film in it, but I doubt it would be a problem. And if you need flash it has a hot shoe and PC connection.

Heres a pic of mine and some sample shots taken with it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randerson07/sets/72157608933597255/

I recently shot Ilford Delta 100 and Fuji Velvia 50 through my Trip with absolutely perfect results. Fantastic camera.

One suggestion and one suggestion only: Canon AF35ML.

Or any other Canon 35mm rangefinder equivalent. You can get an AF35 for $10 on eBay

Well, you didn't mention a budget. And you didn't mention how important interchangeable lenses are. But given your constraints, and assuming you want to pack more than one lens, I would go for either a screw-mount Leica (or one of its copies, such as Canon or Fed) or an Olympus OM-1, each with a small selection of lenses.

If a fixed lens is okay, you have many options. Non-battery dependent options are still quite a few, but mostly older folder cameras, I'd say. Of them, my favorites would be one of the Retina series, the IIIc being the coolest, or if you felt like messing with 120, the Zeiss Super Ikonta A. 645, and very compact.

What a great post! All these old camera names coming up. If you are truly looking for a mechanical workhorse, I would recommend the Canon Ftb. I used this model some, and it was great.. inxpensive on ebay (but does use a battery for the meter), but still functions without as the shutter is mechanical. Another choice may be a CLA'd Kodak retina reflex (III, IV). The selenium meters rarely die (no batteries needed) and the Schneider lenses are superb!

i have a pentax k 1000,was my first camera i bought and i still use it when i travel.

Most reactions

Back