The Slaughterhouse

I

Iron Flatline

Weird day. I posted this pretty much as is on my photoblog, but thought I'd share here, too.

I'm back in Berlin for four days, just got in from LA on Thursday. Someone wanted to show me a 'Great Investment Opportunity' so I spent my Saturday hammering down the Autobahn in a very nice E55.

Just outside of Dresden someone built one of those massive killing machines. You put a pig or a cow (they did both!) in on one end, and on the other side comes out cold-cuts, sausages, and everything else you can imagine. The parts that don't get used - teeth, hair, bones, etc - get incinerated to make some of the energy. ....very efficient.

(gag!)

They have flash freezers, long-term storage, and even their own water purification, so they can keep using the same water to hose down the blood and intestines.

(double-gag)

The images look pretty sterile, because what is missing are all the ceiling-hung chain saws and wheeled meat-troughs.

Anyway, the place is shut-down, as it is completely bancrupt. They got hundreds of millions of Euros from the state to create work in the old East Germany, and as soon as the subsidies ran out, they shut the place down. That's why all the equipment has already been sold off.

Now some guy wants to turn it into a garbage sorting place - plastic, metal, glass, etc. The place is for sale for around 3% of the original value, and they STILL can't put together the funding to make it work.

It was a total waste of a day. I know nothing about any of these businesses, and am not about to commit time to learn how to sluce pig-guts down some drain.

But let me tell you: the place stank of blood and death. Apparently there is NO WAY to ever remove the smell of 5,000 animals a day getting slaughtered and turned into various foods. I've been back at my temporary apartment for a couple of hours now, and I can still smell the place. I will need to get my sweater dry-cleaned.

This being the dark side, I thought you might enjoy some of the images. I will work up a few more, and post them. I had only my little snap-shot camera, so many of the images ended up too soft (due to low-light camera-shake) but some got the atmosphere just right:

1160841953.jpg

1160842235.jpg

Umph .. I wonder if I still want to have lunch now ;)

At least the weather was fine on your drive down to Dresden ;)

If I had the money, I would not invest in this place ... unless there was a huge demand for slaughterhouses. I would not turn this place into anything different!

Maybe I am glad we are having fish for lunch today. Trout that still happily swam in some waters only a few hours ago and that my son fished, killed (!) (yes, to have food we have to kill other living beings) and gutted ... and yes, for the time being my kitchen smells of fish but that smell is going to disappear since it were only 6 trout and not 5000 animals a day ... Yes, this is a very darkside place, I should say! Whoa!

So you are in Berlin right now?
But were not there last weekend?
Good!
I did not miss you then (for I was there last weekend).

Oh .. being captured so much by the story behind the images, I forgot to comment on the images themselves ;)

I like the first one, would crop it probably to 2:1 to get rid of the large dark space in the foreground.

The first one might go well as B&W, or monochrome, maybe blue.

I also like the second one, and it is this kind of image where blown out highlights actually add to the mood!

LaFoto .. good for your son if he still knows that eating fish and meat means killing the animal. Most people today have lost that connection and meat is just an industrial product like coke, chips or anything.
I am not vegetarian, I like eating meat, but I think only people who mentally survive at least to watch the animal being killed should get meat for dinner ;) Killing is reality here.

Of course, mass slaughtering is a different thing, noone is supposed to like that ....

[edit: ] sorry, pretty off topic

Cool..very well captured and documented. Would love to have that chance to wander around an old building like that. I almost had a chance to do an abandoned hospital, but it got torn down before I could get to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back