The SLR's of the 80's

Wow can't believe the great responses that I have had since starting this thread back in August. Thanks all who contributed in comments! It's so helpful to learn from you all. Especially in the film camera category!

Hearts0075, learn this my young Jedi. If you truly love your job, you'll nvr work another day in your life.

Just grabbed this FM2 last week!

Nice camera, nearly indestructible, simplicity itself. All the battery does in that is power the meter.

when I was a kid my dad let me play with his FM to keep me occupied in church. i'd literally stick my finger through the shutter and let it close onto it!

This was the same FM I used in college, and, aside from fingerprints on the shutter blades, it worked perfectly.

So yeah, these old nikons are solid.

So you've been sticking your fingers where they don't belong for a long,long time now!!! lol

I knew that was coming. Ray Charles could see if too. Cha Ching!!!!

Most of the folks in this 4.5 year old thread no longer post here, but there is some good info here.

19511126_1433546430071846_1465121634720198282_n.jpg
Personally, I have always had and shot with the Canon slr series from the late 1970s. Still have my super cherry A1, and a host of FD lenses. And am looking for a cherry F1 body, winder Fn, and the few primes I am missing from when I use to shoot way back when professionally.

Last edited:
Have this. 1.8 and 1.4 50mm. 70-210 4-5.6. 100-300 5.6-8. 2x teleconverter .600mm mirror lense. Dead winder A (AA battery death). Vivitar 2600D flash.

EOS650. 28-105 4-5.6 Sigma. 19-35 3.5-4.5 Phoenix. 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma
With which I took hundreds or thousands of pictures in the middle 80s to middle 90s of Aircraft. Fighters. Attack. Cargo. Bombers. Took several night shots.
Self timer 30 seconds at f8 that came out well. I have dozens of rolls that never got processed. And just registered here to post this.
My goal is to get a Canon 40D body upon which my lenses will attach.
I know the 40D is FAR from the latest and greatest. But it's about all I can afford.
I have a decent Nikon PS. But the home computer died so I am not using it much. I'm trying to get a job which will let me address the computer problem.
But nobody has called and the only emails I get tell me I was not chosen.
ff1ef8021d08271ab85fe3b4f5ac5604.jpg
d13b4cb7e6bc7ced6a37092d43a3c1a6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was mainly a Nikon user in the 80's FE, FM, FE2, FM2, FA F90X, F4 and a couple of Canons A1, F1n, EOS600, plus a smattering of other brands and models that didn't impress me and soon replaced, Minolta 9000 being one of them. Then moved to Medium Format, mainly Bronica but with a few Hasselblads as well, not impressed with the Blads though and regret the money spent on them more than anything else I have owned.

Paul

I still have my beloved Canon 40D, great camera. If you find a nice one for a good price buy it. The FD lenses wrok manually on it with a 35 dollar adapter. And all the EOS lenses work on it as well. BUT there is a crop factor. Stll, great camera.

Truly hope to get a 40D!

Please explain (or illustrate) the "crop factor"?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back