The Sly: Opions please :-)

i'll agree that the b&w looks better, and skin smoothing does have its place, but not here. This obviously isnt the type of shot that really calls for it, and it looks a little cheesy mixing the two 'types' of photography. I think it might work a little better also if the lips werent so soft, and they were more similar to the original.

that's a beautiful photo, the hair is a little distracting, but i don't think it detracts from the shot, she has beautiful eyes. that is some outstanding editing Dave, most of your explanation was greek to me, but i am definitely going to give that a try.

Something about this picture keeps me coming back. I decided to try my hand at a b&w conversion. What I didn't like was the darkness under the eyes so I brushed it out. What do you think?

hilary_uploadBW.jpg

What I like about it is the fact that it has a blueish tint to it. Very slight, but still distinguishable in contrast with the previous b&w posted. I would like to see it in sepia. An older looking sepia. How would I go about doing that?

~Fiona

i really wish the freckles were still there. they add alot of personality....

edit:

decided to try a different version, still with the freckles and 'grain' to keep the original feel. also did some work on the background, which was distracting.

slyedit.jpg

This image is one that can be taken several different places in editing all with great results. It was a nice one to work on for the "super model makeover" as well as the "natural" look. Either way can't go wrong with such a versatile image. I definitely like the hues of thebeginning edit. I would like to see more of her in future post.

thebeginning said:
i really wish the freckles were still there. they add alot of personality....

edit:

decided to try a different version, still with the freckles and 'grain' to keep the original feel. also did some work on the background, which was distracting.

slyedit.jpg

I love this version ! It's put back some of what I missed post editing ie. the freckles etc and gives the photo a dreamy feel.

Dave's editing is great, yet I felt the second one did look a little over-done with PS, as TheBeginning said : digitally drawn.

Her freckles are beautiful and I think they should never be edited out.

Beautiful picture Tsimiri :)

Thank you :). The girl in the picture didn't like it, but then again she doesn't really like any pictures taken of her. Although my favorite thing about taking pictures of her is that her eyes are amazing. They are even more fantastic in person.

~Fiona

I'm not a big fan of photoshopping, except for stuff like resizing images or making them b&w, that kind of thing, but as for taking out features, there's something Orwellian or Stalinian about it...

The pictures in posts #6 & #13 makes her look like a supermodel alright, but too plain and unremarkable.. I agree with thebeginning... and that picture in post #20 is good.. as is the original... I like the bit of hair and freckles... adds personality.

The off-b&w remake is great. Looks like a headshot.

here is my try.
played with curves a bit...
then simply used the highpass tool to pop the eyes.
i converted the second one.

i think she's beautiful and the hair doesn't bother me a bit.

1. color

jjuzxk

2. converted

jjv0d2

I thought the hair on the eye was a little distracting as was the nose piercing. I used the healing brush on what appear to be blemishes/pimples rather then freckles. Also gave the image a little color saturation. Not much really because it originally is a nice picture.

tsimiri.jpg

Most reactions

Back