The snowy Nooksack River

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by scole, Dec 31, 2009.

1. scole

scole TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yesterday I made another attempt to explore a stretch of the North Fork Nooksack River that's hard to access. The river flows through a deep gorge for about a 1/3 of a mile so the access has to be at either end or by a very steep side slope. I made a previous attempt at the downstream entrance to the gorge but got cliffed out. This time, I managed to get down to the river's edge but was eventually twarted by a sheer cliff and the swift currents of the river. Guess I'm now down to Plans B & C.

Before this, however, I stopped off to check out the bald eagles which are beginning to make their annual return..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto the photos of the river. I do want to point out that it was snowing hard while I took these so any banding you see in the photos is the result of the longer exposure times and the heavy snowfall at the time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and Happy New Years!

2. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ahhhhh, I miss Washington.....

3. squirl033

squirl033 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    some nice stuff there. i'm a sucker for slow-shutter shots of flowing water, and the snow really sets these off nicely. what section of the Nooksack were you on?

4. scole

scole TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Rocky, this section of the river is upstream of the Wells Creek Rd / Nooksack Falls area. This is the area below the Excelsior Ridge trailhead along the highway and approximately between Mileposts 40 and 41. There are no trails accessing the area; it's purely crashing through the forest to reach the river.