The South will rise again C&C please

SNAPaPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the traditions in the south is to instill in their children the heritage of the civil war, commonly referred to as the war of northern aggression.

I normally don't take these type of shots but was asked by the exhibitors to snap a couple during the re-enactment. I wish it was later in the year as the dead grass distracts from the photo.

I was trying to capture the fire coming out of the tube and the fuse, although I wish I could have been a tad to the right to capture the fuse more it was too dangerous. The glow of the smoke was a nice extra.

Love some C&C here.

104q2xz.jpg

Meta Data:
1/1000 shutter
6.3 f stop
ISO 400
Focal length 70mm

No post processing done yet, just resized to 8x10 aspect ratio and copyright added in batch processing.

I think it is exposed properly, I like the colors, the action from the barrel, but composition needs work. The legs behind the blast is distracting, so how loud was it ?

i actually like it a lot. even if the circumstances weren't 100% perfect you captured the moment :) did you get it on your first try?

nice, who won ?

Some one asked how loud was it, extremely loud.
I was as close to the roped off safety area as possible. They always have someone standing there each year that loses a tooth filing during the firing of the canons.

As to who won, it rotates each year and this year the south won the skirmish. I get what you were saying but it is the south here and some believe the war is not over :)

Then someone else asked if I got it on my first try. It was on the first shot of the day but about the 5 or six frame. I had the camera on continuous high. When talking to the canon operators they told me the first shot was a new gunpowder mix they were trying out so I was there 4 hr early just to get in the right spot ahead of time for the picture. tripod and all I just waited.

Since this was a live event, I couldn't move the person in the background, but did did try to hide the some 300 re-enactors on the field, however you brought up a good point to always look around with respect to composition.

Great shot! I love the color and the smoke was a great plus.

Nice canon shot capture. Sounds like you had to do a lot of planning to get the shot. Good job

The South lost the Civil War.(period) Every soldier that fought for the South and every person who supported the "cause" was required to sign an official declaration that they recognized the war was over, the individual was surrendering, and declare their loyalty to the United States in order to be able to vote or hold public office. I am not sure where the idea comes from that not everyone surrendered.
The South and North no longer exist. The South was defeated in a war and the individual states that supported it were brought back into the United States and their infrastructure was rebuilt with United States taxpayer money.
Since the forum has a rule banning political discussions I will keep this just historical.

I wasn't bringing politics into it, just saying some of the ol' boys still think it is still going on.

Some got into character a little too much :) it was a long day but a fun day.

Sorry for the lecture. I have some of those good ol' boys children in class.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a re-enactor come to my classes every year. It doesn't matter which side they support every one of them is REALLY into their character and their unit's history. A couple of them had me concerned about their mental well being.

I have taken photos at a couple of re-enactments and it is a fun time. Lots of unusual shots to be taken.

Most reactions

Back