hyakuhei

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hyakuhei.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I've been wondering about camera shake -

The recommendation is that you should not go slower than 1/focal length, soo for a 300mm lens I shouldn't dream of shooting at anything slower than 1/300th.

My questions is what happens with crop-factor cameras ? my dSLR has a crop factor of 1.6x making my 300mm lens the equivalent of about 480mm. Does this mean that I should stay above
1/300
or
1/500

I know I could work this out by trial and error (if I had my lens with me - its
860 miles away atm) but I thought other people might be wondering the same thing so I've posted it here.

Thanks
-Rob

Think about it. By cropping in "zooming" 1.6x into the 300mm image and blowing it up on your sensor you are effectively amplifying any defects in the image. Thus shake that could be considered acceptable for a full frame sensor is blown up on a APS sensor as your effective focal length as far as the picture concerned is increased.

Mind you this is a rule of thumb only. If you brace yourself you can probably go slower. If you have parkinsons maybe go a bit faster.

Although, I don't advocate hand holding when you don't have to, I believe the rules have changed dramatically since the introduction of anti-shake technology. Your limits today are partially determined by the equipment you are using.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back