The Spring Mountains

it would depend on how the stacked shots work together if you had clear separate areas (lets say background of a mountain and foreground plain desert sand) then you could have different lighting on the mountains to the foreground - however if they areas overlapped in any way you could get problems; say one section of mountain leading into the dessert area and you then went to combine the two with different lighting - the area of mountain in the dessert section could look out of place with different lighting to the mountains behind.

Its definatly something that you could experiment with - also combineZM I belive is free - or has a freeware edition and several people use that to combine photos - the key is making sure that framing remains the same and the you don't leave out a section of focus (done that and it looks strange in the end result)

it would depend on how the stacked shots work together if you had clear separate areas (lets say background of a mountain and foreground plain desert sand) then you could have different lighting on the mountains to the foreground - however if they areas overlapped in any way you could get problems; say one section of mountain leading into the dessert area and you then went to combine the two with different lighting - the area of mountain in the dessert section could look out of place with different lighting to the mountains behind.

Its definatly something that you could experiment with - also combineZM I belive is free - or has a freeware edition and several people use that to combine photos - the key is making sure that framing remains the same and the you don't leave out a section of focus (done that and it looks strange in the end result)

I think I'm getting ahead of myself. Shooting for stacking would just be changing the aperture?- Starting with f/?? Or does it have to do with focus or both?

its based on adjusting the focus rather than the aperture - when I have tried it with macro I keep the camera totally static as well as the subject - then I select a wide aperture - shoot, and then move the focus point a tiny bit, making sure to keep part of it overlaped with the frame I just shot and then shoot again. That way you build a series of images with different points of focus, but with the same settings (so idealy lighting will be the same for all - makes eidting quicker) then you combine them together with either the software or manually with a layermask and brush.

its based on adjusting the focus rather than the aperture - when I have tried it with macro I keep the camera totally static as well as the subject - then I select a wide aperture - shoot, and then move the focus point a tiny bit, making sure to keep part of it overlaped with the frame I just shot and then shoot again. That way you build a series of images with different points of focus, but with the same settings (so idealy lighting will be the same for all - makes eidting quicker) then you combine them together with either the software or manually with a layermask and brush.

I'm going to try some shots out tomorrow. Seems to me though that for landscapes a smaller aperture would be better.

Great shot, wonderful job!!

Thanks. I'm aching to go back and go into some of those canyons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back