The Street on which I Live

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dreary rainy day today, but finally at Thanksgiving we get a little color in the trees. The street I live on runs into one of St. Louis's nicest parks, Tower Grove, and then continues on through the park. I often walk that route to the grocery store as I did today. Tower Grove was given to the city by Henry Shaw as an arboretum. Henry had over 100 species of trees planted in the park.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Joe

reber_street.jpg

Dreary rainy day today, but finally at Thanksgiving we get a little color in the trees. The street I live on runs into one of St. Louis's nicest parks, Tower Grove, and then continues on through the park. I often walk that route to the grocery store as I did today. Tower Grove was given to the city by Henry Shaw as an arboretum. Henry had over 100 species of trees planted in the park.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Joe

View attachment 130750
Beautiful

Lovely street.
that dark area at the top left (vignette) is bothersome; perhaps crop it lower so that the curve of the street under the lovely canopy becomes more important.

upload_2016-11-24_7-20-5.png

Beautiful

Thanks.

Lovely street.
that dark area at the top left (vignette) is bothersome; perhaps crop it lower so that the curve of the street under the lovely canopy becomes more important.

Thanks, I'll consider that.

Man, if that was my route for groceries, I'd walk it everyday. Very inviting. Maybe I should give up on the beach and move to St. Louis.

Actually, the grocery store is too close and I need the exercise, so I have a couple loops I walk either through the neighborhood or in this case through the park.

Well, the water here is drinkable once you filter out the silt from the Missouri. Desalination is much harder.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Love the color, what camera/lens combo is that?

The camera is my new Fuji X-T2 (had it for nearly a month now and so far very happy). The lens is Fuji's 18-55mm standard zoom.

But the color/tone in the photo is my responsibility. Here's the JPEG the camera created:
camera_JPEG.jpg

White balance was set to unity to make the live histogram useful.

Joe

The camera is my new Fuji X-T2 (had it for nearly a month now and so far very happy). The lens is Fuji's 18-55mm standard zoom.

But the color/tone in the photo is my responsibility. Here's the JPEG the camera created:
View attachment 130776
White balance was set to unity to make the live histogram useful.

Joe
Very clever. Love it.

Dreary rainy day today, but finally at Thanksgiving we get a little color in the retractable banner stands trees. The street I live on runs into one of St. Louis's nicest parks, Tower Grove, and then continues on through the park. I often walk that route to the grocery store as I did today. Tower Grove was given to the city by Henry Shaw as an arboretum. Henry had over 100 species of trees planted in the park.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Joe

Joe,
Happy Thanksgiving! This is the best gift for you^^
Really love this photo and the view!

Last edited:

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Joe

Joe,
Happy Thanksgiving! This is the best gift for you^^
Really love this photo and the view!

Thanks, glad you like it. Henry Shaw did extremely well in the hardware business at the beginning of the 19th century (all those wagons going west stopped at Henry's store for outfitting before they left). He retired at 40 and dedicated the rest of his life to botany and giving all his money away. The Missouri Botanical Garden here in St. Louis (right next to the park) is arguably the world's premier botanical research facility -- thanks to Henry.

Joe

The NBRI ... University of Bonn ... UC's (in particular Davis & Berkley) ... ? (You did say arguably, lol.)

Yep I did say arguably. Here's a map locating the MBG's 40 research facilities around the world. UC Berkeley does have at least a garden.

Joe

map_mbg.jpg

White balance was set to unity to make the live histogram useful

OK you lost me here, would you please explain?

Mirrorless cameras (Fuji X series) provide the option to view a histogram for the scene live before the photo is taken. This can be a big assist in fine-tuning the exposure. The problem with all such live histograms is that they are drawn from the data generated by the camera JPEG processor and so do not accurately reflect the sensor exposure.

These are two different exposures:
1. Sensor exposure = raw file.
2. Camera generated JPEG.
Or to phrase that differently; an ideal exposure for one will not be ideal for the other.

Depending on the engineering of the specific camera the difference between the two is slight to as much as a full stop or slightly more. The camera's on-board meter is adjusted to produce #2. above.

WARNING: Definitely heading into nerd territory here where it's legitimate to ask the question; really? Does it matter? I'm retired and have nothing better to do with my time than to refine my exposure to hair-splitting tolerances -- arguably a waste of time and more so with every passing year as camera sensors get better and cover over any need for increased precision.

So I have this option with my camera to check a live histogram before clicking the shutter and so determine if I'm clipping highlights -- nice feature, but that info is for the camera generated JPEG and not accurate for the raw file which is all I care about. How can the histogram be made more accurate for the raw file? Unity WB. Here's a good reference: What is UniWB? | byThom | Thom Hogan

So when I unboxed my X-T2 four weeks ago the first thing I did was set it to save raw only. The next thing I did was turn off pattern/matrix/evaluative metering. And the next thing I did was start testing the metering system and working to nail down exposure. For me exposure means only one thing: a full sensor exposure for the raw file. My only exposure goal is to place diffuse highlights as close to the sensor threshold as possible. That goal makes the live histogram that much more attractive and so I set my custom WB to unity so the live histogram would be giving me better info.

This is not a methodology for anyone shooting "in business" or anyone who so much as glances at the camera JPEGs expecting to get an idea of what their photo looks like. My camera generated JPEGs are all green and overexposed -- see above, but the raw file that JPEG represents is a perfect exposure.

Joe

@Ysarex ok I understand now. I suspected it might be proprietary to the Fuji. We've had this conversation before on histograms. Clear as a bell now. Nice feature.

Most reactions

Back