The stupid filter is stuck on my camera :(

lordfly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased a UV Haze filter for my XTi, mostly for lens protection (I'm a bit of a klutz, and the last thing I want is a scratch on my only lens). Alas, I didn't realize it at the time but the inside part of the UV filter has a bit of a finger smudge on it. No problem, I'll just unscrew it...

...except it's not coming unscrewed. It just spins around. I don't want to yank on it, for fear of damaging the lens. Am I really this stupid? Possibly.

How do I get a stuck filter off of my camera lens?

Sounds like either you've got a circular polarizing filter and don't know it (unlikley) since they spin - or the filter has some how screwed in so far that its slipped below the filter thread.

I would try to gently pull on the filter and turn it at the same time - making sure that your fingers are fully covering the whole of the edge of the filter. If it is the latter case you might just be able to tug it back into the filter thread and remove it and if its a Cirpolarizer it should come off.
Otherwise I'm really confused as to what is happening!

Put a rubber band and see if that help.

After you are able to unscrew the filter, maybe use a pencil and rub it on the thread of the filter.

Sounds like either you've got a circular polarizing filter and don't know it (unlikley) since they spin

:mrgreen:

So, you know, as I was saying, I have this multi-coated circular polarizer filter on my camera, and I can't get it off....

Sounds like either you've got a circular polarizing filter and don't know it (unlikley) since they spin

So, you know, as I was saying, I have this multi-coated circular polarizer filter on my camera, and I can't get it off....

:lmao::lmao:

you know you lose 2 whole stops of light with one of those attached? (or is it one stop?) regardless I would not use it for protection in general. It has use most certainly, but not all the time.
Just make sure your fingers are around the whole base of the filter and turn - there should be some base to it that you can grip with your fingers which is not part of the filters normal turning aspect.

:lmao: Brilliant reply.

(I am laughing with you)

LOL .... but why you want to use a UV filter in the first place since you already have a CPL. :)

edit - ok that was odd - new posts and Dao's profile were showing his post and I could see the first lines of the post by searching his recent posts - but the thread was not showing the post itself. Till I posted this ...... . TPF --- has a case of Gremlins¬

They do make filter wrenches pretty cheap, might be worth a try before screwing with the lens. . .

Yep, that or on of those flat rubber round do dadds you use to get stubborn jar lids off.

edit - ok that was odd - new posts and Dao's profile were showing his post and I could see the first lines of the post by searching his recent posts - but the thread was not showing the post itself. Till I posted this ...... . TPF --- has a case of Gremlins¬

Wonder if the database is corrupted.

They do make filter wrenches pretty cheap, might be worth a try before screwing with the lens. . .

Save your money.

I bought a set before I 'knew better' - they are worthless.

I have NEVER successfully removed a filter with them.

The best way is to just use your fingers. Try to space them evenly so that the pressure is even across the whole filter. Don't force it.

If it's not working, take a short break and try again after that.

This situation is the perfect excuse to buy a new lens. Or, an entirely new camera AND new lens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back