The Swiss

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by kilifila66, Jul 13, 2006.

1. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Hello everyone, I know it's been a while but the European travels have kept me quite busy. This is my very first, that I can remember at least, attempt at a portrait. This was taken on lake Brienz near Interlaken Switzerland. I really liked this guy's overall appearance and the expression on his face. Just wondering what I could have done better to improve this one. Keep in mind I took this without his knowledge from a little distance so I couldn't use a fill flash or position him or anything like that and I was working without a true zoom lens, just my 18-70mm on the D70.

Thanks in advance,
    Drew

[​IMG]

2. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

Anyone have any constructive criticism?

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are a few elements of this image that say "snapshot", but it's your first portrait, so that's normal; things like a horizontal frame, centering the subject, and his face in shadow in the harsh light. But you didn't use a wide-angle, which is a biggie, and you blurred out the background somewhat, which is also nice.

I say keep at it: read as much as you can about taking portraits, look at other people's portraits, and shoot, shoot, shoot.

BTW, a zoom is just a lens that can adjust it's focal length. An 10mm-28mm lens is a zoom lens as much as a 100mm-300mm is. Wide-angle and telephoto are what describe the two sides of "normal".

4. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

I should have specified that I didn't have a telephoto zoom to take the shot at a distance, I sometimes use the wrond photo words. :)