The tent is rained

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by jamagica, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jamagica

jamagica TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I definately am liking how this turned out..

when I was looking closely at the tent I noticed one droplet was significantly larger than any of the ones around it, so I decided to capture this photo.

[​IMG]

2. jamagica

jamagica TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bump...the title's probably boring, eh?

3. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi jamagica,
    I really like your tight focal length in this photo - you did a good job of capturing the one larger drop. Maybe it could benefit from a little more contrast or maybe a crop on the right? I'm not a huge fan of the title, but I have a hard time naming things, too. ;)

Overall, I think it's an interesting capture with potential. Thanks for sharing!

4. jamagica

jamagica TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for replying! I will definately crop a bit out on the right. Perhaps I'll increase the contrast a bit further, but I don't want that white to be too blown out on the right.

Thanks so much again,
    Jake

5. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Depending on your photo editor, you might be able to use a mask to avoid blowing out the right or do some selective dodging and burning. I've recently started doing color overlays, fill layers, and adjustment layers in Photoshop for some of my color and contrast adjustments. There's a few things in there that you might be able to use to bring out the blacks without blowing out the white if that's your goal.

Happy processing!

6. jamagica

jamagica TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never like to overdo the editing process (makes me feel like I'm not much of a photographer), but I'll check out some deeper processing tools (I use the GIMP). Thanks again!

7. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do agree that you need skills as a photographer to make a good capture, but here's another favorite Ansel Adams quote of mine: "Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." In my family, we like to think of PS as our "digital dark room", but editing (especially in the question of how much is too much) is so often a personal preference. Thanks for the thought and discussion!

8. jamagica

jamagica TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually don't like that quote, because God doesn't make mistakes, we only percieve certain aspects as screw-ups because they're not pretty. Photography is about capturing something natural, and for me I draw the line before selective adjustment (with the exception of selective color). Most of the time I edit to emphasize things, not fix them. Thanks for your advice...perhaps I'll try out some new techniques in the near future

9. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry if I offended you... I take that quote as very "tongue-in-cheek". Editing is in the eye of the beholder as is photography. If we were all the same and had all the same perspective, life would be pretty boring. ;) Thanks for the brisk discussion!

10. Ebag17

Ebag17 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I could think of a few.