The thing on the trail

Thats why I hike with a gun. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but up here we worry about big cats and bears.

If that pic was taken recently then I can tell you that it is not a snake. Snakes are already in hibernation in tn. So considering your in Ohio Im willing to bet against a snake.

Looks like a rock or a root. Not a turtle or a snake. I don't understand why you couldn't get close enough to see. Did you turn around and quit the hike because of that?
Yes. The trail is a short one and the hike not worth the risk. At the time we were convinced it was a snake. The idea that it might be something else did not come up until I started showing people the photo after the trip.

Thats why I hike with a gun. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but up here we worry about big cats and bears.
At the time it was illegal to carry guns in national parks.

If that pic was taken recently then I can tell you that it is not a snake. Snakes are already in hibernation in tn. So considering your in Ohio Im willing to bet against a snake.
The pic was taken in July 2008 in Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota. Great day for a snake to be out sunning itself.

haha I bet you were just too lazy to go up the rest of those steps so your mind started 'seeing things'. My first thought was a rock. I don't understand why you didn't just stop and watch it for half a minute, maybe throw something near it, just seems like a really silly reason to end a hike. Your drive to the trail-head was far more dangerous than that 'snake' sunning itself. You should get a telephoto lens!

JC

Most reactions

Back