Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does the composition work here? Too busy? Not enough contrast?

IMG_4039.jpg

It's a cute photo but I think it could use more contrast. All of foreground seems to have the same tone of grey. It all seems to blend together.

Yeah, I think so too. Here's a redo with more contrast, but my problem is that it looks fine on the monitor but when I upload it loses so much quality and the colors and contrast change dramatically. Perhaps because I edit in TIFF mode and the compression to JPEG does a number on the image. Anyway, here's another try at that same pose and another from the shoot. I adjusted using the levels to select white/black point and then did additional adjustment using curves.

IMG_4055-2.jpg

IMG_4039-2.jpg

but my problem is that it looks fine on the monitor but when I upload it loses so much quality and the colors and contrast change dramatically.
I have that same problem. I've got my monitor pretty dialed in to what Adorama prints for me but when I upload my pics and view em' I'm all "Hello? Who turned the lights out? Can we get a little level/brightness boost here?"

Techno photoshop crap aside, these are great pics. I'm seeing em' in my head as hand printed B&W's and my response is "How much for an 8X10?". I like the look you've captured. Reminds me of myself ages ago hearing my mom in the background "Are you ging to put that back together?".

malachite said:
"How much for an 8X10?"

Hmmm...maybe I found my photo for the exhange :)

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad it's not just me that struggles with the problem of duller looking photos when they are uploaded. My monitor's calibrated to my printer so at least they print right :wink:

Definately better!

If you have imageready, export the tiff from photoshop and edit to desire. I find with most color photos, you need to add a little saturation. Especially with color portraits.

The shot of the boy against the tree is very good. On the other shot it would be better to crop off about half the rocks from the bottom of the picture.

I like the redone version with more contrast.

I like the second posting a whole lot. When you write your book on how to take portraits, I'd like an autographed copy please.

You're awesome.

hobbes28 said:
I like the second posting a whole lot. When you write your book on how to take portraits, I'd like an autographed copy please.

You're awesome.

Sure thing. I'll make sure to stop by SC on the big tour :)

Lungfarmer said:
He really looks like he's thinking really hard, hee hee.

I believe he was thinking about how to convince me to let him have ice cream for dinner :roll:

Most reactions

Back