THE THREE ELEMENTS OF A GOOD PHOTOGRAPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get closer to that, here is a suggestion, perhaps maybe learning how to use the Background distractions to guide the viewer to the subject.

Our of the center what....Gee, I guess these are instant failures, and this one too

This Photo taken by TPF user Efergoh used a pop up flash....shame on him

A handful of shots from under the mid day sun...these are no good :(
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133077
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138995
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126226
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136824

Wow...I am such a failure, I should just put my camera down.

Yep no good did you use a popup flash :lmao::lmao:

Amira does have some nice photos in her gallery. Not that the advice given was bad, just maybe not worded in the best way.
Point #1. Yes there are times when full frame is great, and I believe that is what she ment, rather than all shots need to be that way.
Point #2. I think she clearly stated that this would take practice and study to achieve. Just the one sentence seems to have attracted the attention of most readers.
Point #3. If you are disagreeing with this you have obviously taken this personal...This is Lighting 101. Yes early and late light is the best natural light for photography.
While yes it is possible to occasionaly get a good shot with the "pop up" flash, have we all not at one time or another told someone that it is the reason for the "failure" of a photo?

As I said, overall this advice is not "bad" advice, but just not necessarily worded perfect. And I think the fact that so many people got upset is because the OP only has 7 post rather than 1000+.

And I think the fact that so many people got upset is because the OP only has 7 post rather than 1000+.

Well, I don't think that is the reason.
But no one had asked for this lecture, true as it might be with regards to many things. And to be "invited" to be "lectured" in capitals is not the right way, either.

And you can see that all in all I am not against acknowledging the "conventions" that lead to a pleasing photo. I said so earlier.

It is not about WHAT she said. It is not about WHEN (with regards to the length of her membership) she said it. It's all about HOW she said it.

so according to you this is a well composed picture?

If the intent was to exagerrate the fellow using your wideangle or fish eye - then yea.

This Photo taken by TPF user Efergoh used a pop up flash....shame on him

Which is done in the exact same situation as the OP mentioned - indoors, intimate setting. You haven't disproved the comment with that photo.

A handful of shots from under the mid day sun...these are no good

Were any of those shots in DIRECT SUNLIGHT? The underpass shot is, an underpass, so we know its not. We do know however that you have harsh blown highlights on the wall that ISNT covered by the underpass.

Seriously, some of you are cranky and taking the OP personally for no other reason than to have something to reply to.

But no one had asked for this lecture

Awesome. We have to ask permission to post now! If you don't want to "hear" it - don't click on the link.

I belive Lafoto was not stating that permission was needed for threads, but that threads need context to function. The first post in this thread would work well as an answer to a new photographer asking for advice, however without that context it appears to just be preaching with no real direction. Opening the comments to the site and asking for additional advice, inputs, opinions etc would have helped and given meaningful structure to the rest of the thread instead of things turning into a witchhunt/rant

If there was a fourth, fifth, and sixth element to making an effective image what would they be?

You have better advice?

i didnt claim too. but some of his advice is wrong and i was just saying i disagreed, along with other numerous people that gave their $.02. so youre quoting and singling me out why?

i didnt claim too. but some of his advice is wrong and i was just saying i disagreed, along with other numerous people that gave their $.02. so youre quoting and singling me out why?

What in her advice is wrong?

While I agree with some of the statements in the beginning, I totally disagree with others.

E.g:

If you remember nothing else about
composition, remember this: keep your subject (and your horizon line)
out of the center of your image.
True for some images, totally wrong for other images. In particular images with strong lines, be it abstract, architecture, or sometimes even nature, sometimes need symmetry, need the subject to be dead centre.

And the "rule" of thirds (falsely called "rule"), helps some images to gain tension, but throws other images totally out of balance.

It is true that pointing out these concepts to beginners will help them broaden their possibilities as in how to compose an image, but they do not work as general recipes.

Yep no good did you use a popup flash :lmao::lmao:

I don't have a pop up flash

Which is done in the exact same situation as the OP mentioned - indoors, intimate setting. You haven't disproved the comment with that photo.
I don't use a camera with a popup flash and that was the only one I knew with out a doubt had been shot with the pop up flash, wile yes it is a candid shot, it is near to or at par with his studio shots in his PL gallery proving they are far from pointless. If you want to consider the fact it was a candid shot as a negating point, very well then.

Were any of those shots in DIRECT SUNLIGHT? The underpass shot is, an underpass, so we know its not. We do know however that you have harsh blown highlights on the wall that ISNT covered by the underpass.

Old Times was HDR emulated and tone mapped with reduced contrast and luminisity prior to convertion.

Around the Bend is undenyable

Cedar Waxwing a 400mm 5.6 at f/11, in hand, it's near necessary

So The Underpass was a poor judgment on my part, take my head off.

Seriously, some of you are cranky and taking the OP personally for no other reason than to have something to reply to.

Awesome. We have to ask permission to post now! If you don't want to "hear" it - don't click on the link.

If you don't want ignorant arrogent replies like the ones found in this thread, don't walk into a forum with the notion of knowing more than the people already in there and start shouting your advice as if you're this forums proctor. It dosen't work that way especially when it's fresh out of photoschool cookie cutter information. We're not saying it's wrong, we're saying amira's inexperience shows through like a red ball in a blue room. I'm sorry if you don't believe in smacking the child to show the error of their ways, but amira has gotten smacked here, and she will think twice before waltzing into an internet community with all the answers like she has here.

Shhhh, Battou. She might sound like a teenager, but she's, in fact, 36 and a working artist... but it still feels like she "walked into a room with the notion of knowing more than the people already in there and start shouting your advice as if you're this forums proctor". That's how the thread feels, hence many people's reaction. It's nothing to do with people being "cranky" and simply wanting "something to reply to"... ts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back