"the tie that binds"

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
some studio stuff i did today ... this lady is an actress/comdiane ... she already has some "standard" headshots ... she wanted something more playful ... something to reflect her personality ...

i shot all of these in my "make-shift" studio .. with a softbox and one slave flash/light ... my shutter was at about 250 f3.2 (somewhere around there :p )... iso 80 .. wb 6500 ... shot with an Olympus E20 *digital*

Your work is getting more and more polished. the practise is paying off! Slight (subjective) nit, #2 could use a little bounced light on her left side so you can distinguish her (striking) nose. I love the acctress shoot. A very pretty model and good make up. It might be improved with a higher contrast background. Her nice lines get lost against the background at some points. Those are nit picks you understand, taken against the fact that you are churning out gorgeous shots.

ooh love the first one dew..u captured something special there.

the last looks like jennifer anniston !

Dew, you are no longer allowed to call yourself an amatuer. You have graduated! All are good but that first one is amazing.

thx for your comments,

the first model didnt want textured background .. she wanted "clean" shots ... i wouldnt normally put a white shirt on a white background .. but i thought, "what the hell.. lets give it a shot" ...

the second model ... that was one of the last pictures ... it happened by accident ... i wanted to give it a sense of purity ... again ... a cream color dress on a white background ... its kinda a no-no in my book ... but no risk, no fun :D

Dew those shots are great!
Very Professional!
These type of pics don't normally interest me but these are exceptional. I'm particularly impressed with how you've maintained the contrast with the white-on-white shots.
Keep at it Dew!

i've been looking at a lot of "professional" photographer's work ... and it seems that playing with a little light can give u some interesting results .. what i also noticed is that a lot of the one's that interest me the most take risk's ... straying away from "the politically correct" technicals ...

the white on white for example ... i would have not done that a month ago ... but i've learned that taking risks is about growing and finding yourself ... not being afraid of everything being "blown out" ... i've realized that sometimes "blown out" can add to the photo or put the attention somewhere else... having dynamic contrast is not always what a photographer is looking for :)

my hubby always tells me, "do u want to please other photographers? .. or u wanna please the client?

tell us about your makeshift studio. Mine is fabric hanging on the wall.

metroshane said:
tell us about your makeshift studio. Mine is fabric hanging on the wall.

well, its really not much ... its taking over our living room :lol: ... we have one large softbox with flash ... 2 slave lights with umbrella, large silver/gold reflector .. we have about 6 or so backdrops ... one blk cloth, one white cloth, white savage paper roll, blue paper roll (just got this one, still testing) .. marbled-grey, studio grey and various others of the same color ...

the savage paper roll can be bought at b&h photo for like $37 in all colors ... its really great because its seamless and smooth, no wrinkles ... doesnt reflect light .. lots of our clients special request that...

hopefully one day ... when it really starts to take off .. we'll invest in a larger studio space ... but our clients dont seem to mind coming to our apartment :D ...

As I think you've been told, the first one IS a standout.

I've been lucky enough with one of my hobbies to meet lighting experts. These guys are magicians who make the artist they work with look better then they really are. YOU on the other hand, are acting as magician AND artist: oh so very cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back