The Times That Make You Want to Quit!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by twocolor, Jul 18, 2008.

1. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, I have a guy call me on thursday for a wedding the following Friday. Not tomorow, he says, next friday - like that makes it better!

I give him his qoute, he agrees to it and we go on our way. There's no time to sign a contract, because he lives 2 hours away from me and there's only a week till the wedding.

He wants the post wedding pictures (getting married in an LDS temple, no pics allowed during the actual wedding) and the reception/dinner/party. He wants me to run back to my studio between the wedding and the reception festivities to put together a montage of the wedding photos. I live 1 hour away from the temple, and 2 hours away from the reception center. I agree to it and charge according.

I show up on time - 10:00, the time their ceremony started. I expect them at 10:45 - an average LDS temple ceremony lasts 45 minutes. They show at 1:30. Almost three hours late. I tell them that the montage is out of the question. No humanly possible way to get to my studio and back to the reception in time. Plus, since I had sat and waited for three hours, they would have to pay my hourly fee or I would take the three hours out of the time I would have spent at the reception festivities. They choose the latter.

After 40 minutes of pictures she informs me she's tired and want to be done. WHAT??

I show up at the reception on time 5:30. They show up at 6:15. The dinner was supposed to be at 6:00. I shoot the flowers, the cake, the decorations, the tables (empty because no guests have arrived yet). When they get there, they dont want anything to do with me. So, I shoot the guests as they finally start arriving, I go out and shoot the gardens yada yada yada

I finally tell the groom at 7:00 (the dinner still had not been served because the b&g were in and out and wouldn't sit down) that this is ridiculous and I'm going home. He says but what about the pictures of us in the gardens that we were supposed to take. I tell him that I'd been there since our appointed time and if they had been there on time too, they would have got the pics they wanted. I'm nice, I go out and shoot them for 15 minutes, while their guests are waiting, and then leave.

So, at what point as a professional do you say I've been here for X amount of minutes past when I was supposed to be, I'm leaving? Is that what I should have done?????

Don't worry, I'm not quitting the biz, just quitting shooting those last minute bookings. No amount of money is worth the crap I put up with today.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ouch! Yet another reason I avoid weddings like the plague. If I didn't have anything booked, I might be willing to give someone an hour of my time; maybe two if they're being really nice and apologetic. With the kind of attitude you were getting, I would have called it after about fifteen minutes I think.

3. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How terribly disrespectful they were of your time! Quite outrageous, really. But it seems you were between the proverbial rock and a hard place...if you'd left without taking any pics, they'd have trashed your name by word of mouth ("the photog just didn't show up") and you'd never be able to get your side of the story out to those who heard it. I think you made the best of a terrible situation and acted professionally.

I'm not a professional photographer, just a member of Joe Public, so weigh my comments accordingly.

4. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Those were my exact thoughts - bad word of mouth travels faster than good word. That is why I stayed. I just tried to act calm and collected and yes, professional. It's good to hear from "Joe Public", because that's who we shoot for every day!