The Ultimate for sale thread

robbins, very nice post! Thanks for all that. I will definitely take that all into consideration...

Sounds like you have some experience in CS? Or have dealt with it enough to know better haha.

But you are right, now that I think about it, I've been building up my gear list for 8 years now and over a 50 cent screw. Sounds insane lol.

I have a tendency to 'live in the moment', so the 1DX and 85 1.2 really appealed to me and was calling my name haha

I spent a lot of years answering a phone and providing customer service for various companies, in both part time and full time positions. I do Risk Assessment now, but been around the block a few times on the CS end.

But ya, if you do end up switching to Canon that's cool. I know a ton of people who shoot Canon. Heck I even like a couple of them.. lol. But I think your best bet is to make that decision after some of the emotion has drained out of the situation. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.
Can I have 48 more cents now to cover my screws? LOL

But seriously though, you guys are right.

I have thought about switching for awhile, so switching wasn't a spur of the moment decision...

But finally pulling the trigger was extremely spur of the moment after this incident.

I think I'm going to sell a couple things and buy Nikons 85 1.4G.

Or go Canon and get a 135 f2L and the 85 1.2L and then send it my way...

Does that mean you *aren't* going to send me the entire package for $500 ??

bummer ... I was gonna piece it all out and make a tidy profit :)

A deal is a deal right? Damn! haha

I was just sitting here thinking, "so…WHY did we just talk him into listening to reason instead of selling all his equipment to US on the cheap?" What were we thinking?? :1247:

A deal is a deal right? Damn! haha
rats. I forgot to negotiate for you to throw in the Hat.
just forget about it now, I don't want it without the hat.

let the rep know you are upset but qualify that by letting them know that you are not upset with them personally. When you make it personal you remove any incentive the rep might have to go out of their way to help you. If you let them know that you are upset about the situation, but not mad at them personally and don't get nasty with them, it really does make a huge difference in how far they will go your behalf. It's about getting the rep on your side. Not always possible, but believe me when you can this makes a huge, huge difference.

This is so true. I always make sure to say "the company" instead of "you" or the person's name. Once I was complaining about a bank fee that came about as a result of their mistake and I said: "This is not our fault, it's your fault, by that I mean the bank, not you personally." Immediately, the whole nature of the conversation changed and they set about fixing the problem. I'm glad I caught myself that time and now I don't even say "you" or "your"

I was just sitting here thinking, "so…WHY did we just talk him into listening to reason instead of selling all his equipment to US on the cheap?" What were we thinking?? :1247:

Well I was thinking the only stuff I wanted was stuff I couldn't really afford, so might as well go with that whole voice of reason deal.

Lol

BTW - I've shoot with the 85mm f/1.2L and the 135mm f/2L and both are wonderful lenses. The 85mm is a just bit slow on the focus, the 135mm is so sharp you need gloves just to get the lens on an off the camera. But that $500 isn't gonna take you very far.

let the rep know you are upset but qualify that by letting them know that you are not upset with them personally. When you make it personal you remove any incentive the rep might have to go out of their way to help you. If you let them know that you are upset about the situation, but not mad at them personally and don't get nasty with them, it really does make a huge difference in how far they will go your behalf. It's about getting the rep on your side. Not always possible, but believe me when you can this makes a huge, huge difference.

This is so true. I always make sure to say "the company" instead of "you" or the person's name. Once I was complaining about a bank fee that came about as a result of their mistake and I said: "This is not our fault, it's your fault, by that I mean the bank, not you personally." Immediately, the whole nature of the conversation changed and they set about fixing the problem. I'm glad I caught myself that time and now I don't even say "you" or "your"

Yup.. it's pretty amazing what a customer service rep can do for you if you get them on your side, and the best way to start that is to just let them know that you don't hold them personally accountable. It really does go a very long way, especially nowadays when almost everybody and their brother calls up breathing fire and acting very unreasonably over the most ridiculously minor issues thinking that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Not so. I know from my time as a CSR - if you called up and behaved yourself I'd go to the wall for you - do anything I possibly could to resolve the situation, even seeing if I could get authorization/override on various policies. If you call up and start acting like an ass - well you'd get only what I absolutely had to give you by the strictest interpretation of company policy, and if I could find a way to deny you that I would give that serious consideration.

A couple of my favorite responses I used over the years:

Customer: "I'm going to contact a lawyer"

Me:"Well sir that is an option. At this point I need to ask you if you are actually seriously considering taking that approach, if you are then I'll have to note that on the account and from now on any questions or concerns you might have will have to be referred to our legal department. I do apologize but once you make it clear that you do intend a lawsuit we are no longer able to help you for liability reasons and everything will have to be referred to legal. Is that really the result you wanted or would you prefer it if I try to assist you in resolving this matter?"

Customer: "You son-of-a-*****!"

Me:"Sir, I'm quite certain you would have really liked my mom if you'd gotten the chance to meet her."

Yup.. it's pretty amazing what a customer service rep can do for you if you get them on your side, and the best way to start that is to just let them know that you don't hold them personally accountable. It really does go a very long way, especially nowadays when almost everybody and their brother calls up breathing fire and acting very unreasonably over the most ridiculously minor issues thinking that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Not so. I know from my time as a CSR - if you called up and behaved yourself I'd go to the wall for you - do anything I possibly could to resolve the situation, even seeing if I could get authorization/override on various policies. If you call up and start acting like an ass - well you'd get only what I absolutely had to give you by the strictest interpretation of company policy, and if I could find a way to deny you that I would give that serious consideration.

A couple of my favorite responses I used over the years:

Customer: "I'm going to contact a lawyer"

Me:"Well sir that is an option. At this point I need to ask you if you are actually seriously considering taking that approach, if you are then I'll have to note that on the account and from now on any questions or concerns you might have will have to be referred to our legal department. I do apologize but once you make it clear that you do intend a lawsuit we are no longer able to help you for liability reasons and everything will have to be referred to legal. Is that really the result you wanted or would you prefer it if I try to assist you in resolving this matter?"

Customer: "You son-of-a-*****!"

Me:"Sir, I'm quite certain you would have really liked my mom if you'd gotten the chance to meet her."

Your temperament and ATTITUDE when you talk to a CS rep (or anyone else) is everything.

Quite a few years ago, I was the office manager at a children's science center. We booked a lot of school groups, and we were in the same park area as the local zoo. Sometimes, we'd get a teacher who would call last minute because their field trip to the zoo was rained out (ours was an indoor facility).

Some of them would call and apologize for even asking, but then explain that their trip was rained out and they were trying to find some way to not disappoint their kids by having to cancel the field trip day, yadda yadda and was there ANY possibility they could come there. The ones who were polite and accepted that the problem was THEIRS, not ours, I'd bend over backwards to work with and find a way to slide them into our schedule if it was at all possible.

But the ones who called and immediately copped an attitude were just out of luck. I remember one in particular; she was just RUDE from the time I answered the phone--said something to the effect that they were supposed to go to the zoo but couldn't because of the rain, and so they would NEED to come over to the science center instead, clearly with the EXPECTATION that it was simply MY JOB to figure out how to fit her unscheduled group into my already full schedule (oh, and her "group" consisted of 120 kids!). She was so rude I didn't even bother to try to work with her, not that I could have done much in this situation anyway. I just told her, "Sorry we're booked solid and just can't fit anyone else in."
Her response was, "Well, WE are already in the park and *I'VE* got 120 kids sitting on buses waiting for their field day. WHAT do you suggest I DO with them?" in a very angry, "this is your problem" tone. It took everything in me to NOT say, "Ma'am, I suspect it would not improve your mood if I told you what I suggest you do with your 120 schoolchildren." :D

awww ss, you need a :icon_hug:

"Well, WE are already in the park and *I'VE* got 120 kids sitting on buses waiting for their field day. WHAT do you suggest I DO with them?" in a very angry, "this is your problem" tone. It took everything in me to NOT say, "Ma'am, I suspect it would not improve your mood if I told you what I suggest you do with your 120 schoolchildren." :D

Lol.. that was always my problem working CS - people would ask me questions like that and I'd have to edit my initial response if I wanted to keep my job.

I got some lint , will that do ?

I got some lint , will that do ?

Oh. Yes. Back to Sean's problem of the 50-cent screw: I suggest we take up a donation to help him replace. I'll kick in a dime.

But…uh…ahem…hey, Sean, could you send me a 49-cent stamp so I can mail this dime to you? :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back