The usual subjects

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some new Dragons at the bottom, please scroll down, P.S if you only see a red cross please hit F5

Central france by the river

calopteryx_virgo_07.jpg

calopteryx_virgo_04.jpg

calopteryx_virgo_06.jpg

calopteryx_virgo_05.jpg

Found just outside Lyon in france. Still undecided about the backgrounds, the dark ones were with a ring flash at full power on the camera lens at higher f stops under the shadow of trees by the river, the ligter ones were against a lighter background with the flash hand held further back at about f8.

Thanks

tim

P.S if you only see a red cross please hit F5

Other recent seriese
Pete the pelecan http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131936

Nasty bugs http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131767

Last edited:
Very nice! I like the 2nd and 3rd ones! :biggrin:

LOVE them!! I like the black backgrounds.

Mark

Many thanks Mark. I like black too because it is dramatic, but was a bit wworried it just looked like bad fill flash :).

Very nice! I like the 2nd and 3rd ones! :biggrin:

Thanks Dmitri, btw how on earth did you manage to get so close to the swallow on your flikr site?

tim

After being on various photo boards for a little bit, ive found myself being a little nit-picky. And I just noticed on #2, its looking a little grainy to the left of the head. I dont know why it happened or how to fix it, but I figured Id point it out.

Mark

Thanks Dmitri, btw how on earth did you manage to get so close to the swallow on your flikr site?

I promised him chocolate chip cookies if he stayed still. :lmao: Naah, he just sat there watching me. Thanks :)

MarkW, thanks for pointing that out, i cant actually see the grain on my moniter, i will have to try and brighten it and see if i can see it then. I didnt play with the backgrounds so it could be that there is a leaf/tree/light comming through the branches etc behind that is catching so sunlight somewhere?

The other half of the family :)

The first three are from today in Copenhagen Denmark, the last one is from Lyon France. I think the last one is the worst but it took much longer as it was darting around everywhere on a really hot day and then resting in the shade to cool down so lighting was a pain.

dragonfly_03.jpg

dragonfly_02.jpg

red_dragonfly_01.jpg

dragonfly_01.jpg

Why is it these guys make it so difficult to get an uncluttered background?
Cropped a little in PS. a 700 Sigma 105, f9 and 10 1/200th on the first three not sure about the last. On camera fill flash one stop under as the sun was on the other side of them, no diffuser unfortunatly.

Thanks for looking
tim

Last edited:
In the first set: the dark background is indeed dramatic, but I find myself drawn to #3...the composition and pose (tippytoes) of the insect is great.

From the second set, my faves are #3 (although the white splotch at the bottom left is distracting) and #4 (since it's so crisp and the colours/details really pop).

In the first set: the dark background is indeed dramatic, but I find myself drawn to #3...the composition and pose (tippytoes) of the insect is great.

From the second set, my faves are #3 (although the white splotch at the bottom left is distracting) and #4 (since it's so crisp and the colours/details really pop).

Many thanks for the concidered reply Antarctican. The light coming off the water looked really nice before it went through the lens (the white splodge), perhaps it could be PSed out, it is bigger than the things i normally take out but I will give it a quick try :). I am also glad you liked the one i was most frustrated with, there is still hope :).

tim

Most reactions

Back