The Value.. Good Deal? D80 for D200..

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bullshark, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A buddy from work who is not at all into photography has stumbled upon a d200.. He offered it to me, in exchange for my D80 and some cash.. My question to you is, how much cash would be considered a good deal.. He is giving me the lens on his, as I will be giving him my 18-135 Kit lens..

My goal is to get a D300, but i"m not ready to fork over the cash all at once.. Figure I'm one trade away with the D200..

2. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm... what lens does he have on his D200? The 200 is a great camera, but it's also very cheap nowadays. You can get a used D200 body for the same price as a new D80 body, for instance. I won't be online until tomorrow, so I won't be able to answer you question, I'm afraid, until we know which lens he has.

Best of luck!

3. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well he isnt sure what lens is on it.. He SAID its a wide angle "sport" lens.. I'm asuming 12mm-? 10mm-? 2.8 maybe? Not really sure. I can prob find out by tonight.. You will be around this evening?

4. Rogan

Rogan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if its the right lens definately trade i certainly would!

but really do need to know which lens

5. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the D300 is what you want, just wait to find a good deal on the D300 and pass on the 200. Now that there's a D700 coming out there might be a small surge of D300's coming up for sale used on the various forums out there.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mav hit the issue on the head. If you are wanting a D300, save for it. I own the D200, and love it, however, you'd better be ready to do some checking.

A well used D200 may not be as good for you as a low shutter count D80. The D200 is also very unforgiving of mistakes.

7. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well for those that were wondering, the lens is the 18-65mm, I'm assuming kit lens, although I havent seen it yet.

When you say less forgiving of mistakes, how so?

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think they might have meant the 16-85VR lens. Pretty nice lens, but a tad overpriced. It's worth maybe $400-500 used, vs the 18-135 which is worth about $200 used.