The Veteran's Portrait Project (Air Force this time...)

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Master Warrant Officer Rick Dorion, CD. Rick is retiring in just three days and wanted an official-style portrait to commemorate his 35 in the Royal Canadian Air Force, so it's a little different than my standard VPP look, but they say a change is as good as a rest...
Dorion1A.jpg

As always, comments, critique and suggestions always appreciated!

For those interested in such things, the 'behind the scenes': A 22" gridded white beauty dish as the key light, gridded strip box to evenly illuminate the flag and two cuts of blue OHP transparency on a MW3 to mimic (more or less) an Air Force blue for the background...
Dorion%20(2).jpg

Dorion%20(3).jpg

This is a good shot. To be super picky I find the light on his right shoulder to be a little distracting. Also, I'm still trying to decide whether the chair is a little distracting. Nevertheless, still a great shot and I love the tones in this shot! It's certainly one to be proud of.

I know - RCAF blue, but I might have tried for a darker backdrop. It's not that close to the blouse color, but . . .

Otherwise, I love it.

Really nicely done! I might like to see just a hair darker back drop to separate his jacket from the BG a little more, but that's probably personal preference. It will be a great image for him to commemorate his years of service.

*edit. I guess I'm thinking a slight color change rather than darkening the BG. As it stands, the brightness fills out the frame nicely and darkening it might tale away from this style image.

@tirediron, you are such a wealth of information for the rest of us. Not only do you put your work out for review, but you go into detail on the shot, even giving us photos of the setup!!!!

Perfect pose for a distinguished looking man, and a job well done. I kind of agree with Snowbear about the background, it's just a little to close of the left side, but not overly objectionable. I also see the little strip of light Black Square pointed out which I'd probably clone out if it was me, and I'd likely try to tone down the highlights on the medal on the far right. Overall though it's very good.

One last question that is really bugging me - What are the rope looking things hanging on the wall to the right???? Is that for some kind of kinky NW woods sport? LOL

@tirediron, you are such a wealth of information for the rest of us. Not only do you put your work out for review, but you go into detail on the shot, even giving us photos of the setup!!!!

Perfect pose for a distinguished looking man, and a job well done. I kind of agree with Snowbear about the background, it's just a little to close of the left side, but not overly objectionable. I also see the little strip of light Black Square pointed out which I'd probably clone out if it was me, and I'd likely try to tone down the highlights on the medal on the far right. Overall though it's very good.

One last question that is really bugging me - What are the rope looking things hanging on the wall to the right???? Is that for some kind of kinky NW woods sport? LOL
Those are for keeping kids out of the way. ;)

This is a good shot. To be super picky I find the light on his right shoulder to be a little distracting. Also, I'm still trying to decide whether the chair is a little distracting. Nevertheless, still a great shot and I love the tones in this shot! It's certainly one to be proud of.
Damn skylights! Thank-you!!! I totally missed that; this was the second last image from the session and I hadn't noticed that the sun had snuck in there. Fixed now.
I know - RCAF blue, but I might have tried for a darker backdrop. It's not that close to the blouse color, but . . .

Otherwise, I love it.
LOL - fair enough; I did say "more or less" though! :p

Really nicely done! I might like to see just a hair darker back drop to separate his jacket from the BG a little more, but that's probably personal preference. It will be a great image for him to commemorate his years of service.

*edit. I guess I'm thinking a slight color change rather than darkening the BG. As it stands, the brightness fills out the frame nicely and darkening it might tale away from this style image.
Thanks! :D

Thanks Smoke! :) I sub-let a dance studio right now, and those are something to do with some form of dance; I'm not totally sure what though...

Those are for keeping kids out of the way. ;)
That and gaf tape... dynamite combo!!!
Very nice.
Thanks Alex!!!!

I don't think the chair is really doing much for the shot. I love the color tones, but perhaps a backdrop that harmonizes with his suit would be better suited than one that matches it.

I'd really love to see this with a more rembrandt style lighting, or short lighting (personal preference). This lighting just seems overly sterile to me, and I think a tiny bit of cinematic depth would really take this up a notch.

I don't think the chair is really doing much for the shot. I love the color tones, but perhaps a backdrop that harmonizes with his suit would be better suited than one that matches it.

I'd really love to see this with a more rembrandt style lighting, or short lighting (personal preference). This lighting just seems overly sterile to me, and I think a tiny bit of cinematic depth would really take this up a notch.
Fair comment; the client specifically requested an "official portrait" style shoot; this (Including the chair as a hand-rest) look and lighting are done in the style of a Canadian Armed Forces "official portrait". Generally I use only the beauty dish which provides a much more dramatic look. As for the background colour, I may probably change that after the fact, depending on client preference.

Those are for stretching. Different lengths indicate either for differently-sized people or a different stretch. The dancer places an ankle in a loop and leans into the stretch.

Most reactions

Back