Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Chief Petty Officer, First Class, William F. McIntyre, CD (RCN, Ret'd)
McIntrye_WEB.jpg

As always, comments, critique and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

That is lovely!

Man, that is an excellent image. My jaw drops every time I see one of your portraits, simply amazing. Nominated July POTM

Beautiful work. As usual, the lighting is amazing.
Thank-you! It's actually very simple lighting; a single gridded BD high and right with a reflector opposite.

That is lovely!
Thank-you Wade! :)

masterfully done sir.
this is a great service to the veterans.
Thanks Jason!

Man, that is an excellent image. My jaw drops every time I see one of your portraits, simply amazing. Nominated July POTM
Thank-you very much JC! :)

Excellent job overall.

Something to think about: Put it in PS and select the Lens Correction filter. Go to Custom and set the Transform/Vertical Perspective value to -10.

That will subtly change the perceived size relationship between his head and hands and it will also slim him slightly (not needed but positive nonetheless). If you see it as distorting the face then after applying the filter you can go to Image/Transform/Scale and squeeze the whole image down a smidge.

Joe

That's beautifully done John, captures his dignity and portrays a certain authority that he still carries.

(And Joe, why would there be a reason to readjust the size of his head or body? I think the dark jacket against a dark background makes that stand out less than the higher contrast lighter hair color, but I don't think it requires adjustment.)

(And Joe, why would there be a reason to readjust the size of his head or body? I think the dark jacket against a dark background makes that stand out less than the higher contrast lighter hair color, but I don't think it requires adjustment.)

Change the head/hands size relationship. Try it.

Joe

Excellent job overall.

Something to think about: Put it in PS and select the Lens Correction filter. Go to Custom and set the Transform/Vertical Perspective value to -10.

That will subtly change the perceived size relationship between his head and hands and it will also slim him slightly (not needed but positive nonetheless). If you see it as distorting the face then after applying the filter you can go to Image/Transform/Scale and squeeze the whole image down a smidge.

Joe
Excellent idea Joe, I will try that.

Very nicely done.
Thanks Ron!

That's beautifully done John, captures his dignity and portrays a certain authority that he still carries.

Thanks [the other] Sharon! :)

Job well done Sir!!
Cheers!
Another excellent job.

If I manage to get back to the island, I'll have to bring my medals and look you up.

Thanks Alex! Absolutely; you're more than welcome.

Change the head/hands size relationship. Try it.

Joe
Here it is at +4; I tried +10 (and +8, +6 and +5), but I didn't like it. That said, now I'm firmly convinced his hands are too prominent!
McIntrye_WEB_mod.jpg

Very nice work for an admirable project. Well done and thanks for sharing.

I'm okay about the hands. For a traditional portrait, they are a bit prominent. But for a military man, the hands being obvious and a bit distorted has a bit of symbolism I think. We also have a triangle of the hands, head and metals that works visually.

The one thing that jumped out at me given the likely clothing of who you're shooting and the lighting is the dimple in the tie....it's big and it's off-center. That (to me at least) becomes more eye-catching b/c everything is a bit darker and conservative. Center the dimple. Or make it a bit smaller.

Most reactions

Back