The wait is a killer

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by percent20, Nov 20, 2009.

1. percent20

percent20 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just ordered my first DSLR Nikon D40 today and it won't come in until next wednesday. Am already really antsy wanting to get at it.

What are some things i can read up on about the D40 until then? I already have a decent understanding of shutter, fstop, and iso jsut need to practice with it now. WOuld like to learn more about the D40 specifics until I can get my hands on it.

thx.

2. CWN

CWN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Back when I ordered mine I spent a fair amount of time here:
    D40 | Digitutor | Global Site | Nikon Imaging

It's a GREAT resource and very well put together by Nikon. They go through various scenarios, feature by feature - by the time you get it you'll know exactly what everything does.

Enjoy and congratulations!

3. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You think your wait is killer? I got my D90 body yesterday, The lens comes from monday-thursday and the tracking info says it still left chicago and is on its way. :x

Go on www.nikon.com and go to the D40, read the full manual. Study your camera. read a book to pass the time? Go on TPF. Sleep. Eat. Repeat. Before you know it your camera arrives :lol:

Congrats on the D40!

4. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just to know what a D40 can do, there is an active thread here on TPF, with shots that were taken only with Nikon D40's.

You might be surprised, maybe even a little amazed.

Congrats on your new camera!

5. percent20

percent20 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That site is awesome thanks for the link have been on it for the last hour now. :D

thx. Not sure which is worse knowing I have the camera coming or having a body and no lense.

Actually that thread is what solidified my getting the d40 for sure. I was already 95% sure, but it helped top off the last 5%. I have been researching cameras for over 6 months now so am pretty confident in my purchase.

6. Jeni

Jeni TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I too know how you're feeling. I've (well technically my parents since I actually don't have enough myself to pay for it. I'll be paying my parents off for the next couple months) ordered a D90 and it should be coming hopefully in the next week. I'm pretty excited. My first foray into the DSLR world.

7. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

I bought an eBay Canon 20D (also my first DSLR) in the UK a few weeks ago, and waiting for my parents to visit me here in Spain to bring it out in two weeks time (I don't trust the Spanish postal service too much not to batter our packages, based on past experience) ... so I'll have waited about 5 weeks for mine.

I'm *normally* a patient person, but...

(I've also downloaded the manual and been studying...)