The way CANON names its DSLRs...

iskoos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I am more and more involved with photography these days and I only use Canon gear, I wanted to become familiar with how Canon names its DSLR models. After spending some time online, the article below was pretty much what I came up with.

The Online Photographer: How Canon Chooses Camera Names

Is it really true that Canon does't follow a specific pattern to name its cameras?
When I look at the Rebel series, I cannot explain that 1000D for example!..

The less numbers the better, in general.

professional cameras are xd eg 1d and 5d

prosumer cameras are xxd eg 50d

consumer level are xxxd eg 500d (this differs in north america with the rebel names, which I'm not familiar with)

entry level are xxxxd eg 1000d

The higher the numbers in the series for the xxd and xxxd indicates newer camera, eg 40d is newer than 30d and 20d, and 500d is newer than 450d and 400d.

The main thing that I'm confused about is the 7d, I was under the impression that this was effectively a '60d' but with a funny name, though I coudl be wrong about that.

D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 1D, 1Ds, 5D, 7D .. Ok.. I think we've been in the digital age long enough.. time to drop the "D" we all know its digital. Hello Canon?

The Rebels seem more confusing.... I want a Rebel Xxx. Common.. !

Oh darn, Nikon uses it too... D40? Is that the Canon 40D backwards cousin?

At least Pentax figured it out and dropped the "D" from their names... little Pentax! I guess Leica didn't need to spell it out for their customers. They went from M7 (film) right into M8 (digital). Ooooo Noo... there's no "D" is this my film camera or my digital?

20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 1D, 1Ds, 5D, 7D ..

It makes sense to me until you get to 7D. Because just looking at that list, a person would think that the 7D is an upgrade from the 5D :confused:

It makes sense to me until you get to 7D. Because just looking at that list, a person would think that the 7D is an upgrade from the 5D :confused:

no... the lower the number the better.

1D > 5D > 7D

ah.

but is a 50d > 40d ??
Yes, because the 50D came out the 40D was discontinued so "in theory" once the 50D was out, you weren't comparing it to the 40D... at least the weren't on the shelf next to eachother for you to consider.

The less numbers the better, in general.

professional cameras are xd eg 1d and 5d

prosumer cameras are xxd eg 50d

consumer level are xxxd eg 500d (this differs in north america with the rebel names, which I'm not familiar with)

entry level are xxxxd eg 1000d

The higher the numbers in the series for the xxd and xxxd indicates newer camera, eg 40d is newer than 30d and 20d, and 500d is newer than 450d and 400d.

The main thing that I'm confused about is the 7d, I was under the impression that this was effectively a '60d' but with a funny name, though I coudl be wrong about that.

Thank you. The less number, the better quality. This makes sense and it fits to professional line xD. But doesn't work for prosumer and consumer series as I see...
For xxD and xxxD the higher the number the newer the camera. But is this also better the camera? So is 50D better than other xxDs?
I can pretty much see this on xxxD except the 1000D(aka Rebel XS) as I mentioned. Is Rebel XS (1000D) better than Rebel XSi (450D) How did that happen?

Canon Rebel Series in order they came out:

Digital Rebel 300D
Digital Rebel XT 350D
Digital Rebel XTi 400D
Digital Rebel XS 1000D
Digital Rebel XSi 450D
Digital Rebel T1i 500D

Please correct if the above list is not right...
Thanks

Thank you. The less number, the better quality. This makes sense and it fits to professional line xD. But doesn't work for prosumer and consumer series as I see...
For xxD and xxxD the higher the number the newer the camera. But is this also better the camera? So is 50D better than other xxDs?
I can pretty much see this on xxxD except the 1000D(aka Rebel XS) as I mentioned. Is Rebel XS (1000D) better than Rebel XSi (450D) How did that happen?

Fewer digits = better, higher number (within a series) = newer.

Canon Rebel Series in order they came out:

Digital Rebel 300D
Digital Rebel XT 350D
Digital Rebel XTi 400D
Digital Rebel XSi 450D
Digital Rebel T1i 500D

Digital Rebel XS 1000D
Please correct if the above list is not right...
Thanks

Corrected. The 1000D is kind of in it's own little class.

EDIT
And, in theory, the higher number (newer one) will always be better, because it's newer. 500D should be better than a 450D, etc...

Most reactions

Back