The Wonderful World of PocketWizards... with an SU800

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Soooooo... I've started to practice portraiture... a lot. Using my SU800 is cool and all, but the infrared is SUPER restricting. Line of sight, bright lights, etc all ruin it. Sometimes if I tilt my camera my flashes won't fire. I've found it far too restricting, and am thinking about purchasing a Flextt5 and two mini's.

I've seen their video of someone using this with an SU800 and nikon flashes, and wondered if anyone here has any experience with this? I don't want to do monolights or rid myself of the SU800. It's gonna cost me 600, and I just want to make sure there isn't something i'm missing. I just want to be able to place the flashes anywhere and not have to wonder if they will fire. I can tell you that the flashes not working correctly adds just another stress factor, and for myself being new, it's not necessary. Haha.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jake

You probably saw it here on Pocketwizards website. This is what led me to get my SU800
PocketWizard® - Using your Nikon SU-800 as a Master Controller

the radio trigger will eliminate the line of sight issues. I'm looking at getting Yongnuo flashes and triggers but I'm holding out hoping for the 568 with Radio Trigger built in :)

I don't know though if the Radio Trigger transmits the SU800 settings to the remote flashes though .. I'm not quite sure how they work together or just work kinda separately

I use my SU-800 and pocket wizards whenever I am using my SB-900's together... makes it easy to control light output without going to the flashes. But.. if you have pocket wizards... and don't need to control the output, all you need is the PW's! I keep my SU-800 primarily for use with my R1C1 flashes... but do use it occasionally in conjuction with the TT5's. Especially if I am using a SB-900 on a boom for a hair light...

It does work well.

My portable set up is 2 sb-600s, sb-800, su-800 with the pw mini and 3 flex. If I want a flash on camera the sb-800 takes the place of the su.

I love it, full control over all 3 flashes. I can hide them in corners or behind things and never have to worry about them not firing.

Great setup, not much I wouldn't recommend about it.

I recently went with radio triggers and got yongnuos yn622n triggers.
$80 a pair, and they support TTL and HSS up to 1/8000. they worked great with my sb600's, sb700's and YN568Ex flash. They are also compatible with nikons su-800.
they cost a TON less than PW's, and as long as you dont need more than 7 channels in 4 groups, or farther away than 100 meters, they do everything the PW's do.

My portable set up is 2 sb-600s, sb-800, su-800 with the pw mini and 3 flex. If I want a flash on camera the sb-800 takes the place of the su.

I love it, full control over all 3 flashes. I can hide them in corners or behind things and never have to worry about them not firing.

Great setup, not much I wouldn't recommend about it.

Wait... why do you have 3 flex's and one mini? I was under the impression the flex was the master and the mini's were the receivers?

Regards,
Jake

I use my SU-800 and pocket wizards whenever I am using my SB-900's together... makes it easy to control light output without going to the flashes. But.. if you have pocket wizards... and don't need to control the output, all you need is the PW's! I keep my SU-800 primarily for use with my R1C1 flashes... but do use it occasionally in conjuction with the TT5's. Especially if I am using a SB-900 on a boom for a hair light...

It does work well.

That's why I want to keep the SU800--So i can control the power without having to go to each flash. It's much quicker in camera, and leaves less "wasted opportunity."

Regards,
Jake

Mini's are transmitting only.

Mini's are transmitting only.

This, mini is the transmitter that would attach to your camera and flex's are transceivers that attach to each flash.

I recently went with radio triggers and got yongnuos yn622n triggers. $80 a pair, and they support TTL and HSS up to 1/8000. they worked great with my sb600's, sb700's and YN568Ex flash. They are also compatible with nikons su-800. they cost a TON less than PW's, and as long as you dont need more than 7 channels in 4 groups, or farther away than 100 meters, they do everything the PW's do.

With all the endorsements from members on Yongnuo's products, I am a little surprised......

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

I'm a convert to Yongnuo as well but still keep a trusty PW in the bag for times when I'm using other peoples equipment, studios, etc.

Yongnuos have proven to be reliable in many circumstances... but they are not professional quality equipment, and may not always do the job they need to in certain circumstances. It all depends on what you want, or need. Pro's will continue to buy Pro gear for the benefits it offers.

Same for their flashes.... they are not build to the same standard as the Nikon OEM flashes... but are much cheaper. It is a trade off, what you do you need?

If I was shooting professionally, and needed 100% reliability.. I would buy Professional gear. If I am not shooting professionally.. it doesn't matter.....

You get what you pay for, most of the time.

so to summarize

The Yongnuo radio transmitters 622n (the better and higher priced ones vs the 603n) send the settings of the SU-800 to the remote flashes. Thus the SU-800 no longer needs to be in line of sight and in distance.

So if Nikon flashes (sb600 / sb700) with Yungnuo 622 are out of sight they would take all the setting information from the SU-800?

What control do you lose if you use OCF of the Yongnuo 560 III flash or 568ex w/622 and shoot in Manual mode and use the SU-800 to control flash output?

so to summarize

The Yongnuo radio transmitters 622n (the better and higher priced ones vs the 603n) send the settings of the SU-800 to the remote flashes. Thus the SU-800 no longer needs to be in line of sight and in distance.

So if Nikon flashes (sb600 / sb700) with Yungnuo 622 are out of sight they would take all the setting information from the SU-800?

What control do you lose if you use OCF of the Yongnuo 560 III flash or 568ex w/622 and shoot in Manual mode and use the SU-800 to control flash output?

PocketWizard® - Using your Nikon SU-800 as a Master Controller

Check out this video. I would have to assume that the Yongnuo's work the same as the pocketwizards, but someone else will need to vouch for this.

Regards,
Jake

Most reactions

Back