The X Prize

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How cool is it that we now have private aircraft entering space and that the possibility for average people to be given the opportunity to travel into space is getting this much closer to reality? It'll be interesting to see what happens with Virgin Galactic.

I'm actually a bit surprised that a bigger deal hasn't been made out of the whole situation.

Anyone else finding this as interesting as I am, or do most people really not care much about it?

ive always been fascinated with space and i sincerely hope that before i die i can see another defining moment in space exploration...hopefully soon. i love the Xprize idea...it will cost a buttload to charter a craft though....

md

I was so excited when I saw this on CNN this morning during my usual MWF brunch. Being a space fanatic since I was about 3, this is really awesome! Chase you just beat me to the punch! I was gonna post something on it if no one had already done so!

Here's To privatization of the space industry! :cheers:

True about the cost and that it is for the rich, but then again, so was travelling by ship, car, plane, etc., before technology and competition heated up.

If one company makes it happen, such as Virgin Galactic, how long will it be before others get in on it? I'm doubt it will ever be cheap in our lifetimes, but it may just be within reach :)

Chase said:
True about the cost and that it is for the rich, but then again, so was travelling by ship, car, plane, etc., before technology and competition heated up.

If one company makes it happen, such as Virgin Galactic, how long will it be before others get in on it? I'm doubt it will ever be cheap in our lifetimes, but it may just be within reach :)

if you sell a kidney! i hope it is...id like to be a part of that...i personally wanna fly up there in an X-wing..

md

My kidneys won't be worth enough--they've got stones. :cry:

Seriously though, this could very be a truly defining moment in human history. For the first time we've gone into space without the backing of a huge government. That's just amazing when you think that just over 100 years ago we couldn't even get off the ground!

I haven't seen or read any of the news about this yet...is it still just a quick up & down, where you only get about 20 seconds of weightlessness?

Or do you actually get to spend a few hours in space?

Big Mike said:
I haven't seen or read any of the news about this yet...is it still just a quick up & down, where you only get about 20 seconds of weightlessness?

Or do you actually get to spend a few hours in space?
as far as i know, its an exit from our atmosphere at 62 miles above earth and a very quick re-entry..

md

MDowdey said:
as far as i know, its an exit from our atmosphere at 62 miles above earth and a very quick re-entry..

Well that sounds pretty boring to me.

Call me when we can go up, do a couple laps of the earth, have a zero gravity meal and then come down.

Big Mike said:
MDowdey said:

Well that sounds pretty boring to me.

Call me when we can go up, do a couple laps of the earth, have a zero gravity meal and then come down.

I second that.

This could be great. In 50 years time we could be doing laps of the Earth. Or it could be Concorde repeated.

molested_cow said:
Yes and no. It's good that people now have a opportunity to travel to space. However it only applies to the rich onse.

Yes, but look at the progress. 5 years ago it cost $20,000,000US, now in 5 years the projected cost will be $200,000. In 15 years it could be down to $20,000.

I love this project and what it inspires. It shows that you don't need to be a big huge government to do something amazing. Do you realize that Burt Rutan and Paul Allen have done something that only three GOVERNMENTS have been able to accomplish. I so excited by this.

BTW, watch Black Sky:The race for space on Discovery channel (it repeats this thursday I think), It chronicles the development of Space Ship One and White Knight. I highly recommend watching this program.

I'm afraid of flying, guess I'll never make it to space. :shock:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back