The zoo

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Chiller, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This was one of the first shots I took with my new Canon Digital Rebel. Please let me know what you think. Can anyone help with reducing the size for posting.
    [​IMG]

Thanx
    Carl

2. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

I definitely like the content and the pose. I can't comment on composition a/c the pic is too large to fit on my monitor without my having to scroll. But I think the right margin probably could be cropped some.

I expected more contrast and sharpness from the canon rebel, but I'm inclined to think that the soft focus and lower contrast was a deliberate touch.

Did I already say I like the photo?

Rebel

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree about the content, and I like the composition, but the photo is soft. You will need some kind of photo editing program, like Photshop Elements, or Paint Shop Pro to resize this shot. It would be good to have also, then you can boost the contrast of this photo, and sharpen it. That would make it pop much more. If you want to get really serious, I'd recommend getting C1 Rebel, and shooting in RAW.

Edit: I took your photo into Photoshop and touched it up a bit. It looks much nicer with a bit of warming, (adding some more red to it), and boosting the contrast, as well as a little sharpening. One thing I noticed though, is that the softness in this photo is from camera shake. Do you know what the settings you used were? It's hardly noticeable when you resize the photo smaller, and sharpen it, but if you were to print it large, you'd see it.

4. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HI Thanx for the replies. I am pretty sure it was camera shake as well that caused the softness of this photo. I should have used a tripod, as I was at full zoom on a 70/300mm lens. I think that the size has to be adjusted in the parameters mode on the camera and not at the point of uploading at Village photos.
    The Digital Rebel shoots amazingly clear photos. Still have not tried to shoot in RAW mode yet.

Thanx again for your reply

Carl

5. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah, a 70-300mm. That explains it. It's extremely difficult, for me at least, to shoot handheld at 300mm. That explains the softness. As far as resizing, do NOT change the size in the camera. You want to take the biggest pictures possible, if you have any plan on printing them. If you are just planning on posting these on the internet and never printing, I guess it's ok, but it's better to have the full resolution file, just in case at a later date you decide you'd like to print an 8x10 or something. You should use an image program to resize them before you upload them to the internet. Photoshop Elements is quite cheap, probably under $50, and quite good.

6. Goofup

Goofup TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I too have a Rebel with a 70-300 lens. Zoomed out it's very hard to hand hold even with a very fast shutter speed. I always have to brace it on something or use a tripod.

I totally agree on Elements. It will do virtually anything you need a graphics program to do. Great program... especially for the money!

7. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photoshop Elements came with the package deal when I got the camera. I have it installed on my Mac, but have not had the time to sit and play with it. Looks like my weekend is planned now :D

Carl

8. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

Don't be too discouraged if Photoshop doesn't have a very good help section. Photoshop in general has an extensive help section but is hard to follow unless you already know a lot about Photoshop.

Resizing however is easy. Besides using a tripod when possible, I would make sure and use the highest quality setting possible. At least the highest JPEG setting and maybe TIFF or RAW for the really important pics. You can always resize down for web and email but you want the max amount of data for prints and for editing.

To resize in PS Elements, open a picture, go to "Image", "resize". Fill in the width or height you want (generally a max of 650 pixels for web) and then watch the other numbers change automatically so the proportions stay the same. I would normally just leave the resolution at 72dpi. Save the picture.

Another very useful feature for posting is the "Save For Web" feature. This is an easy way to further reduce file size (so pic is not so slow to load) without reducing size any further.

Open picture, go to "File", "Save for Web". For web posting generally select for jpeg image and click on the "quality" number. Slide the indicator back and forth to change the numerical "quality" number. Look down below and see the file size change as well as how the picture will look. Anything over 100KB is going to be very slow loading for dial up people. Around 50-60KB is probably better. Save picture and hit okay to "replace". When you then go to close the picture the regular way hit "no" when it asks if you want to save changes.

A really big hint is to always make copies and ONLY edit and resize copies. That way you never lose the original data. If you have edited a picture the way you like it's a good idea to make a copy of that before resizing. That way you have a large size but edited copy for making prints if you like. The easiest way to make a copy is to click and drag the icon for the picture while holding down the "ctrl" button.

9. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

I hope you won't mind but I took the liberty of giving your Pic a little PS treatment.

[​IMG]

Unsharp mask plus a little contrast and slightly more saturation and finally a resize.

10. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

mrsid99,

You've transformed this photo into a wall-hanger! I can easily imagine a 40x30-inch version of this hanging on my rec-room wall--or any wall.

What you've done to improve this photo is way kewl.

11. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Drdan...thanx for you help in Photoshop Elements. I appreaciate it!!

MrSid99...Wow What can I say. You did an awesome job on this photo!!!

Thanks for taking the time to fix it up. Great job!!!

Carl

12. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words folks and I'm glad I didn't upset you Carl by interfering with your pic.
    It seemed a really neat shot but begged for a little TLC, would've been fun to play with the full size file.