Then vs. Now

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started photography my freshman year of college (2011). I had some extra scholarship money and decided, "hey, I've always wanted a camera, why not?" So I bought a little "digital Dan" as I call it and shot with that for awhile.

I quickly realized that I needed a DSLR if I was going to be doing anything worth my time. So I kept my eyes on Craigslist until I happened upon a good deal on a Nikon D5100. It was basically brand new and came with a warranty, and I got it for $500. So I started taking more and more pictures, and eventually asked my RA (featured in the "then" photo) to model for me. That was my first portrait shoot.

I was scouring the Internet for ways to get better at photography and came upon The Photo Forum. I quickly discovered that this was a very active community and the members here helped me to become the photographer I am today. I frequently cite The Photo Forum and its members as one of my main driving forces towards becoming a better photographer. Bynx taught me about HDR and how NOT to do it. Tirediron (John) was my "mentor" for awhile and has always given me good advice and feedback on my photos. KmH has always been a reliable voice of reason, Pixmedic and his wife have always been very kind and generous, and gave great feedback as well. Michele knew how to really rile people up, and countless others have been so critical to my development as a photographer. And I thank you all.

On the right is a recent shoot, 5 years later. I think I've come a long way since then. I still have a long way to go - the goal is to always be learning.

ThenVSNow.jpg

I love seeing then and now images... except for my own hahaha

I think I see a bit of a difference... ;)

A modicum of pride seems to be appropriate in this instance (I'm well known for being the master of the understatement). :D

I owe a lot of my growth to you guys! To actual shooting techniques, to business strategies, and more.

Wow! nice one...this will be my goal as well :)

This is the reason why I recently signed up to this forum. With less then a week being a member and with a few photos posted, I have already received constructive feedback and advises. Be hungry for knowledge and always continue to learn from each other. Cheers DGMPhotography!

Wow! nice one...this will be my goal as well :)

This is the reason why I recently signed up to this forum. With less then a week being a member and with a few photos posted, I have already received constructive feedback and advises. Be hungry for knowledge and always continue to learn from each other. Cheers DGMPhotography!

In 5 years you'll look back and realize what a great community and resource this forum is.

I totally agree with you... The forum has helped me as well along my journey to become a better photographer... It is cool to look back at shots from the beginning (THEN) to compare to where I am now... It's great to see the progress...

Definitely!

Not sure which is more amazing- your improvement or the fact that you managed to learn something here.

Not sure which is more amazing- your improvement or the fact that you managed to learn something here.
Nice backhanded compliments to both DGM and this site...

That's great improvement and I may not have been here as long but I will echo that the forum has always been there if I had a question or just needed a tip with my shots.
Great job DGM and thank you TPF.

Most reactions

Back