There be monsters

I guessed it right away, since it looks like the mosquito and they are in fact cousins. its just the non-biting half, which is what gave it away

Wow, thanks guys, i dont think i have ever seen so much interest in one of my own pics, it makes me proud :), i must have got something right.

This one is probably a bit under exposed, and not as nice a background but it looks almost cute to me (must get out more) itcame out of the freezer last night after dying on the stairwell window sill. Now i have run out of creatures for the winter :(. Not sure what there is left to take pictures of this year. Probably have to get the kids some more stick insects or something :)

moth_antenne_04a.jpg

Hang it, here is another one, it was a bit dodgy with some kind of intereference between the bristles, so not as sharp in places as it could be

wasp_08a.jpg

Thanks again.

tim

Jchantelau it is taken with a microscope lens on a sony alpha a700. A reichert 2.5x from a compound microscope, it is quite a rare lens, but still only about 60USD.

Hi TC, yes i am afraid that it is stacked too, all of them are, i think the wasp was about 36 images. It has that strange halo problem on some of the bristles. It was with a 6.1 mp ccd. the crane fly and the moth were with a 12mp ccd, and the halo/diffraction effect is much less and it took a whole lot less tweaking to get the stack to work propperly. So that was a new discovery. It also turns out that if you up the size of your source images the resulting stack has less problems, so i guess the algorythm is dependent on the number of pixels it has to work with, not just what is on them. It takes a fair old while to process with larger pictures.

tim

Hi TC, yes i am afraid that it is stacked too, all of them are, i think the wasp was about 36 images. It has that strange halo problem on some of the bristles. It was with a 6.1 mp ccd. the crane fly and the moth were with a 12mp ccd, and the halo/diffraction effect is much less and it took a whole lot less tweaking to get the stack to work propperly. So that was a new discovery. It also turns out that if you up the size of your source images the resulting stack has less problems, so i guess the algorythm is dependent on the number of pixels it has to work with, not just what is on them. It takes a fair old while to process with larger pictures.

tim

This takes a tremendous amount of work and patience. I think it's amazing.

Incredible...this must have taken you a while to do!
Anyways..i just so like these kind of pics and wish i could manage to do some myself....still have to dream i guess!

Most reactions

Back