There is just something about this photo

CaleNewman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
rfuBLcu.jpg

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea. The graininess isn't prominent enough to seem like it's on purpose. It just feels out of focus. I also don't find the subject particularly interesting, I think it's underexposed, and the leaves in front of the center trunk are distracting. That being said, it's your photo. If you like it and it evokes a special feeling for you, that's all that matters.

Not my cup of tea. The graininess isn't prominent enough to seem like it's on purpose. It just feels out of focus. I also don't find the subject particularly interesting, I think it's underexposed, and the leaves in front of the center trunk are distracting. That being said, it's your photo. If you like it and it evokes a special feeling for you, that's all that matters.
Thanks for your reply. I guess like storm said "mood" is where my feelings come from. And correct me if im wrong but I dont think I really wanted a subject. Assuming your talking about the trees. I guess I wanted the vertical and horizontal lines created by the tree trunks to do something. The leaves are just there distracting like you said, or could they have helped create this mysterious mood by distracting the viewers eye from the temporary subject leading it elsewhere through out the photo, an out of focus wonder like a dream leading you to another point. Do you see horizontal lines im talking about? But since its a 2D image and only I have the memory of a 3D image I might be the only who sees it, subconsciously maybe, because like I said I dont remember this photo. Thats why I thought other people could see the lines. Im just here to learn so let me have it, not going to hurt my feelings.

Last edited:
I see a lot of chromatic aberration and image noise, some of the noise is pattern image noise, but most of it is read noise.
No grain.
Digital cameras can't have 'grain'.

That you like the photo is all that counts.

Film uses grains of light sensitive silver halide.
The grains of silver halide are small in a slow film.
Film grain can and is measured using a microdensitometer.
Using a standard aperture area, a value is determined as an average of X many particles in the standard area.
In a slow film the granularity value is small and hard to see in a print.
When the silver halide particles are larger (faster film) there are fewer silver halide grains averaged in the standard area, so there is a higher granularity number, and grain that is readily visible.

I'm pretty certain there's a Bigfoot behind that tree to the left.

Not to my taste, either. Too dark.

As KmH says, digital does not have grain. Neither do colour film pictures, come to that. They have dye clouds. Grain is strictly B&W film.

To be successful a photograph has to have enough universality that others who see the picture can understand and appreciate it. One of the real obstacles for any photographer is being able to realize when what he/she likes about the photo is so deeply personal that others don't 'get' it.

I have pictures that I love but too much of the reason is in me.

Maybe that's what this is for you.

I think he's trolling you guys.

Im sorry guys, I agree it must be my own personal feelings to the photo. Sorry about that...

It reminds me of camping. Sitting in a chair in the dark thick woods. I have a tendency to stare at trees a lot. I enjoy the textures and think about the history that happened there. Who was hear in this spot when it was a sapling? When was that?
Its not a technically perfect shot but i like it. Even if it is grainy :)

It's dark enough where if you let your imagination flow you'll see more than what's actually there.

Thanks for your reply. I guess like storm said "mood" is where my feelings come from. And correct me if im wrong but I dont think I really wanted a subject. Assuming your talking about the trees. I guess I wanted the vertical and horizontal lines created by the tree trunks to do something. The leaves are just there distracting like you said, or could they have helped create this mysterious mood by distracting the viewers eye from the temporary subject leading it elsewhere through out the photo, an out of focus wonder like a dream leading you to another point. Do you see horizontal lines im talking about? But since its a 2D image and only I have the memory of a 3D image I might be the only who sees it, subconsciously maybe, because like I said I dont remember this photo. Thats why I thought other people could see the lines. Im just here to learn so let me have it, not going to hurt my feelings.
You are not going to learn much by posting a photo you don't remember [taking?] and don't remember the ideas you were trying to convey or capture ["I guess I wanted . . .]
Why not post a couple where you have your intention clearly in mind? Otherwise we are talking about a random shot, and that will not give you the feedback about your technique you are asking for.

Is there something about the photo?

Yes.

Is it a good photo?

Not really. :(

It reminds me of when I started, snapping anything an as much of everything that the budget for film would allow. I didn't really understand how to convert what I saw into a good picture. But occasionally I would capture something that would grab my attention, a contrast of colours, the beginnings of some composition, etc. But it wouldn't be a good picture, it would just have one small element of what might make a good picture and because I didn't really understand I couldn't do it again or piece all the elements together into a complete and good photo.

Back to your image.

If I isolate the main tree trunks (and tighten the composition a little) I see this:

percussive.jpg

Which is actually quite a rhythmic pattern and similar to what you see in a lot of really good tree trunk shots. But that's all I see. The rest is just confusion, (even the horizontal pattern), the quality and colour are quite poor.

Most reactions

Back