There's a first time for everything...

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and today was the first time I got in trouble for taking photos in a church. "private property" :lmao:
I was walking around taking photos of some spanish stuff they had set up and no one looked like they cared... there was even a cop standing around watching me.:)

After I left and started heading out towards the car the cop stopped me and asked if I had permission to take photos in there. I said "oops I didn't know I needed permission to take photographs in a church" He said... "well, you have to ask permission from the pastoral staff..." I said "ok, do you want me to go in and apologize/ask permission?" He was all like... "no, if you want to stay go put the camera in your car. if you're leaving have a nice day." :mrgreen:

I felt guilty after leaving... but now I know... lol
For some reason I never even thought of asking... probably because I go there every week... lol

I have wanted to take pictures of some of the older churches we have around here but have been nervous about asking.. I assume I should not consider doing it on Sunday but suppose they would probably be ok with it as long as I am respectful and stay out of the way.

I did get some exterior shots of a church once and 2 people working there did not say anything to me.

LittleMan said:
and today was the first time I got in trouble for taking photos in a church. "private property" :lmao:
I was walking around taking photos of some spanish stuff they had set up and no one looked like they cared... there was even a cop standing around watching me.:)

After I left and started heading out towards the car the cop stopped me and asked if I had permission to take photos in there. I said "oops I didn't know I needed permission to take photographs in a church" He said... "well, you have to ask permission from the pastoral staff..." I said "ok, do you want me to go in and apologize/ask permission?" He was all like... "no, if you want to stay go put the camera in your car. if you're leaving have a nice day." :mrgreen:

I felt guilty after leaving... but now I know... lol
For some reason I never even thought of asking... probably because I go there every week... lol

Yeah, many churches do not allow photography at all while some allow for non flash photography. In case of weddings for example, people are allowed to take photos inside the church some time before, during and after the ceremony.

My first instinct was that the cop was wrong but upon research it seems you do have to ask the pastoral staff for permission to photograph.

One exception to this rule though is when the church is a declared historic monument of some kind. We have a few of these here in Arizona, such as Mission Xavier Del Bac, where you don't have (or at least I didn't have to, the last time when I visited there) to ask for pemission to photograph without flash.

Since you go to that church pretty often, you could tell the pastoral staff about your desire to photograph inside the church, who knows, they might say they can use some good pictures. :)

Good luck.

Mitica100 said:
Yeah, many churches do not allow photography at all while some allow for non flash photography. In case of weddings for example, people are allowed to take photos inside the church some time before, during and after the ceremony.

My first instinct was that the cop was wrong but upon research it seems you do have to ask the pastoral staff for permission to photograph.

One exception to this rule though is when the church is a declared historic monument of some kind. We have a few of these here in Arizona, such as Mission Xavier Del Bac, where you don't have (or at least I didn't have to, the last time when I visited there) to ask for pemission to photograph without flash.

Since you go to that church pretty often, you could tell the pastoral staff about your desire to photograph inside the church, who knows, they might say they can use some good pictures. :)

Good luck.
Well, they have a photography team and I was considering joining... but I've just been too busy lately.
I was staying out of the way and I wasn't using a flash, not to mention they had decorations/a band they usually don't have.
Almost everyone knows me, so I think that's why I got off... now I know I have to get permission though! :D

always you can play a spook, spy... and hang a camera on neck-stripe and only press the button... I did it in London a few times, but because many of you are from London, I will not tell you were I did so... :p but, after all, congrats on being yelled at... it always gives you a bit of satisfaction, and a "feeling" of being a pro :p

I was at a mall once and taking pictures of some the archituecture(no flash) when a security guard asked me to put the camera away. So I did. Thats a first time for me too... only happend a couple days ago too.

Artemis said:
Hehe...I know it sounds dumb but id like it to happend to me :p
This is what you've got to do... :mrgreen:

1. Wear a baseball cap backwards...
2. Wear a denim jacket with the end of the sleeves rolled up a bit...
3. Have your strap on the camera really short, not around your neck but hanging down.
4. Let your camera bag hang over your shoulder.
5. have a pad of paper and a pen in your left hand.
6. Look interested in whatever you are photographing.

Those are 6 key factors that will get a security guard to tell you off... :lmao:

SlySniper said:
I was at a mall once and taking pictures of some the archituecture(no flash) when a security guard asked me to put the camera away. So I did. Thats a first time for me too... only happend a couple days ago too.

You aren't supposed to take pictures in malls...can't remember the reason, but the head of security told me once when I worked in the mall (I wasn't taking pictures or anything...can't remember how the subject was brought up)

Try telling that to the tourists that visit the Mall of America :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back