There's a whale in our river!

now i'm lost...

jona is fishing in the thames??? and moby dick has taken over parliment???

and there is no refuse???

oooohhhhh dddrrrr calliope???? i'm not the only one needing d.r.u.g.s's...

"A seven-tonne whale...." You Brits are so cute, adding all those extra letters to words and such. :thumbup:

The main thing is he is being watched closely by vets and officials alike, so hopefully he can be steered safely back to deeper waters. :love:

terri said:
"A seven-tonne whale...." You Brits are so cute, adding all those extra letters to words and such. :thumbup:

The main thing is he is being watched closely by vets and officials alike, so hopefully he can be steered safely back to deeper waters. :love:

who..? joe??

and i thought it was tea and crumpets with the queen.... and where the heck did jonah go???

oh, yeah, he has the ammo..

terri said:

You Yanks haven't got the hang of precision with units I'm afraid - a metric tonne is one thousand kilograms or [SIZE=-1]2,204.62 pounds, whereas a ton can be one of three measurements - 2,240 for a long ton, 2,000 for a short ton and finally 2204.62 for a metric ton.

Goodness me, that was pedantic, it must be the opposite of "oral night". :D

Rob
p.s. We all hope the whale makes it!
[/SIZE]

Rob said:
You Yanks haven't got the hang of precision with units I'm afraid - a metric tonne is one thousand kilograms or [SIZE=-1]2,204.62 pounds, whereas a ton can be one of three measurements - 2,240 for a long ton, 2,000 for a short ton and finally 2204.62 for a metric ton.

Goodness me, that was pedantic, it must be the opposite of "oral night". :D

Rob
p.s. We all hope the whale makes it!
[/SIZE]

Yes, Rob, but what's an imperial ton? One of the people I study claims that he lifted 1 imperial ton (this was in the 1890s).

jocose said:
Yes, Rob, but what's an imperial ton? One of the people I study claims that he lifted 1 imperial ton (this was in the 1890s).
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica]The imperial ton is no longer used in the UK as an official measure. By using "ton" there is the risk of confusing the 2,240 lb imperial ton with the 2,000 lb US ton. There is a 12% difference between the two "tons". Tonne is unambiguous and is the official British unit. Very similar to the tonne - one imperial ton = 0.9842 metric tonnes. One tonne = 1.016 tons.

(from the internet)

So he lifted 984Kg? Hmm.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Rob said:
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica]The imperial ton is no longer used in the UK as an official measure. By using "ton" there is the risk of confusing the 2,240 lb imperial ton with the 2,000 lb US ton. There is a 12% difference between the two "tons". Tonne is unambiguous and is the official British unit. Very similar to the tonne - one imperial ton = 0.9842 metric tonnes. One tonne = 1.016 tons.

(from the internet)

So he lifted 984Kg? Hmm.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

He was brilliant. What he did was this:

He had a beautiful, shiny barbell on stage sitting with each ball in a wooden keg. He would invite the audience to come up on stage and try to lift it. Once everyone returned to their seats, his assistant would "polish" up the barbell, but really, he would secretely open valves that would release the sand into the barrels. The manager would give a speech describing the feat about to be performed...the speech was perfectly timed to allow all the sand to run out. Then the strongman would walk over and lift the empty barbell! Brilliant. Absoultely brilliant.

Oh, he was exposed once when some audience members rushed the stage and ifted the weight after he did.

It's a concern when whales and the like get confused and stray from their normal 'grounds'. With communication cables under the oceans and signals etc, I have a feeling this is causing a lot of mass beachings and incidents like this.
Pollution/oil spills also play a part.

When the life of the seas are affected like this, they're a great guage of the health of our oceanic environment.

Anyway, sorry to cast a serious tone on the thread. Sending good vibes out to this whale and the rest that are gathering around the Thames. :love: Wishing them safety !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back