There's going to be a riot!!!

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On Thursday 1st of May in Zürich there will be a riot! There always is. Therefore I'd like a bit of advice on "In the thick of it" photography, if that's ok.

First I'll list the kit that I intend to take and the settings that I think will work

Kit:-

Originally I had asked to borrow my girlfriends P&S, however, given her response (which I won't repeat here) I concluded this idea was probably not a goer. So....

Nikon D40x with only a 55-200 lens - The body and lens are cheap (relatively speaking) and easily replaceable, the body is light and the lens not big. Also I don't want to be carrying extra lenses. Given the nature of the subject I doubt I'll be getting close enough to need to go below 55, and I doubt that I'd feel particularly comfortable changing lenses in that environment.

Settings:-

I had intended to have the camera in shutter priority mode thus leaving the camera to select aperture automatically (I don't think a wide open aperture would be a problem here as I'll mostly be going for specific subjects and not overall scenes) - things happen fast and I don't want blown out photos because I've forgotten to meter. The shutter speed I think would need to be around 4-500 in most instances. ISO would need be determined on the day but certainly no less than 400, probably higher. I can live with noise in this instance.

I know the area and have an idea of the path it will take.

So, these are my ideas and I'd be grateful for any advice anybody has for this kind of photography (I know - the first piece of advice will probably be don't go - this is still an option)

Cheers all

I would go for a wide aperture, ISO 400 sounds good and then spot meter on the subjects and let the camera determine the shutter speed. This should give fast enough shutter speeds ... however ,if you expect very fast motion, then preselecting shutter speed is a good idea as you say . a blown out sky does not matter too much, an underexposed subject (face ) however can be a pain.

Zürich is a nice place by the way :)

Please don't let this thread die quietly. The minimum acceptable closure is some well taken photographs and comments about avoiding thrown bottles.

The best outcome is a hastily taken cellphone photograph of smashed Nikon equipment on the floor with flames soaring into the night in the background (nobody gets hurt).

The title and OP is so intriguing.

cheers,

david

I can't offer any suggestions except watch your ass! Always keep an eye on your back as most rioters care very little about honor when they run up behind you to smash you in the back of your noggin.

Remember that your camera is replaceable, your body is not - don't sacrifice yourself for your camera...it's just not worth it.

I would suggest forgetting the notion of being "in the thick of it" and opt instead for a vantage point and a long lense.

If you insist on being down in the fray, then you may consider the buddy system with another photographer. Also consider keeping your back against the wall.

Good luck and keep your head on a swivel

Vince

I would suggest forgetting the notion of being "in the thick of it" and opt instead for a vantage point and a long lense.

long lenses are also good for self-defense ;)

getting some buddies without cameras is probably a good idea. they could carry the baseball bats to protect you ;)

Pfft, we do the riot thing a LOT better in Berlin... but I'll be in Amsterdam.

u guys r crazy ill never bring anything expensive... they will try to steal it LOL

we had something like this in dublin 2 years ago but at the time i wasnt snaping didnt even think of it

taking a heavy metal tripod XD

I support this idea 100%. =D I'd stay away from the riot. I took my P&S to a small concert and I almost broke it in half when the crowd burst in a riot. Riots are really unpredictable, so I'd take my chances at a distance with a big lens.

... Wait, you can schedule a riot?

color me intrigued...
i echo miss banana's question...lol...how does one scedule a spontaneous violent gathering :D

Most reactions

Back