There's xmas lights up in our street.

Darfion

Soapbox guru...
Reaction score
Website
www.darfion.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So what you may ask? It is December. The fact is these lights/decorations were put up mid November. Strange people about. There was a TV program on the other week about a man, over here, who celebrated xmas EVERYDAY. Even going to the extreme of having a xmas dinner-everyday. Just thought i'd share that little bit of information with you all.

i haven't celebrated Christmas in about 10 yrs ... but to celebrate it everyday makes sense to me :wink:

Darfion said:
So what you may ask? It is December. The fact is these lights/decorations were put up mid November. Strange people about. There was a TV program on the other week about a man, over here, who celebrated xmas EVERYDAY. Even going to the extreme of having a xmas dinner-everyday. Just thought i'd share that little bit of information with you all.

If it wasnt for halloween I would want to put up the Christmas lights in mid October, or early October. :0) Just because its warmer then and I wont have to freeze my fingers off putting them up. Ours has been up for a week now, but just on the tree so far.

Dew said:
i haven't celebrated Christmas in about 10 yrs ... but to celebrate it everyday makes sense to me :wink:

How come you havent had Christmas in 10 years Dew?

Christmas dinner every day? That sounds very expensive and fattening, hehe.

#1 im not Christian

#2 i think the true meaning of it has been lost for many

#3 i think if u feel strongly and that passionate about something, u should celebrate it everyday and not once a yr ... :D

Dew said:
#1 im not Christian

#3 i think if u feel strongly and that passionate about something, u should celebrate it everyday and not once a yr ... :D

If I may, what religion are you, if you have one? :0)

Its sad but true. To most Christmas is about theh presents and santa, not about the birth of our saviour.

Many Christians do celebrate it every day. Maybe not Christ's birth but being thankful for his arrival, his miracles and his best gift, salvation by giving thanks at each meal for what the Lord has given us and done for us, also through out the day. :0).

im more spiritual, but not any religion per say ... if i were, i'd be more interested in buddism (dont know if thats a religion in the technical sense) ... since the hubby and i've been together, i told him that i dont celebrate it and he hasnt either .. which is interesting cause i just asked him specifically why he didnt and he gave me an answer that would be too political to share here :lol: ... but he basically gave the same reasons that i mentioned here. but if u'd like to get a quote from his speech, u can send me a pm :lol:

GerryDavid said:
Dew said:
#1 im not Christian

If I may, what religion are you, if you have one? :0)

Its sad but true. To most Christmas is about theh presents and santa, not about the birth of our saviour.

Many Christians do celebrate it every day. Maybe not Christ's birth but being thankful for his arrival, his miracles and his best gift, salvation by giving thanks at each meal for what the Lord has given us and done for us, also through out the day. :0).
I definately don't want to start a religious debate... but Christmas was adapted as a christian holiday from a pagan holiday. Christ wasn't born on December 25th (nor was he resurrected on easter).

dew said:
if i were, i'd be more interested in buddism (dont know if thats a religion in the technical sense)
It is a religion and philosophy. I prefer the philosphy of buddhism and taoism rather than the religious stuff.

voodoocat said:
I definately don't want to start a religious debate... but Christmas was adapted as a christian holiday from a pagan holiday. Christ wasn't born on December 25th (nor was he resurrected on easter).

I dont believe we know what day Christ was born on, so they picked a day out of hte year to celebrate it. The pagan holiday thing I think your thinking of is the santa thing where alot of it is from the northern europe, cant think of thier cultures name, something like vikings but I dont think thats quite it, changed things a bit so it would be more culturably acceptable to that culture, when they tried to witness to them and show them Christian ways. Its been a while since ive looked into this so my details could be off. :0).

Nothing wrong with a relgious debate, as long as its done proper and theres no insulting or anger is involved. :0). We do have freedom of choice. :0)

Well unfortunately religious debates always seem to get out of hand. But I'll back up my info with a little research.

Encyclopædia Britannica said:
During the later periods of Roman history, sun worship gained in importance and ultimately led to what has been called a 'solar monotheism.' Nearly all the gods of the period were possessed of Solar qualities, and both Christ and Mithra acquired the traits of solar deities. The feast of Sol and Victus (open unconquered Sun) on December 25th was celebrated with great joy, and eventually this date was taken over by the Christians as Christmas, the birthday of Christ.
It's pretty widely known that for christianity to catch on with the Romans, it was paganized. Changing pagan holidays and rituals into Christian holidays and rituals to help in Rome's conversion to christianity. With a monotheistic religion the citizens were more likely to accept a government with one head honcho.

yes, religion and politics are no-nos :lol: ... but my family respects my wishes and dont send me "gifts" or cards ... however, they were curious as to why... there is no "one" reason, but several. enjoy your holidays folks :D

Well I love giving gifts (way more than receiving) and celebrate it as a time to spend with family and loved ones.

I tend to focus more on having the excuse to spoil the family with gifts this time of year that would not ordinarily be given....it's much more a feeling of nostalgia and family togetherness in our house than it is a religious occasion. We make it good, make it happy, and despite what I just said about "spoling", we do try to keep it fairly simple in the gift department. :D

I love LLLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEE christmas. But I respect your decisions not celebrate or not too. More presents for me....jk.

out of curiousity, are there any countries that dont celebrate christmas? (including "holidays" around christmas like kwanza, hannikah, etc.) ... that dont have celebrations in december?

All in all, I agree that christmas is way too commecialized now. Most of the stores in the US try to skip over Thanksgiving just to get to the big sales. This does aggravate people alot thought.

The best part about Christmas is that people seem to become more pleasant and accepting, the small things don't really matter. Also the lights are very nice. I just put up my new 12 foot tree with 1,220 lights. 8)

I am not really into much of the gift giving and receiving, but I love the Spirit of Christmas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back