These guys and gals were everywhere!! Please C&C

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Darton, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Darton

Darton TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Shot these today in the Smokey Mountains. I'm kinda new to shooting wildlife. Ohh there's alot to learn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shot this guy about twent-five times. This is the best I got.
    [​IMG]

This last one was an elusive fellow. LOL
    [​IMG]

2. HikinMike

HikinMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have a couple decent captures, but they look too soft. You need to bump up your ISO so you can shoot at a faster shutter speed than 1/60.

3. grafxman

grafxman TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are nice photos but I'm afraid they do look a little soft. I don't know why. If you're using a tripod, perhaps a remote control would help. It's amazing how much the camera vibrates on a tripod when you touch it.

I think your 30D has live view, so try this. With the camera on the tripod, aim it at a newspaper taped to a wall about 20 or 30 feet away. Go to live view and magnify the view to max. Zoom the lens out to max and manually focus. Now watch the live view when the shutter is pressed. Unless you're using a very heavy tripod on a solid surface you will see an amazing amount of vibration in the live view. That will cause soft images.

That will be eliminated with a wireless release. I got mine for about $25 off ebay. FWIW, when I saw that happening with my Canon 50D, I went to Sigma stabilized lenses. Now I get pretty sharp photos hand held at 1000mm. I also use a high ISO which gives me a decently fast shutter speed. Hope this helps. Good luck.

4. Darton

Darton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yeah once I got home I realized that iso200 was about all I shot. Being realitivity new to shooting critters I didn't know how high toset it. I'll try harder next time.