These pictures looked STUNNING

mostlysunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
through the view finder-- So I don't understand how it got so blurry.
F/stop 3.5 shutter speed 20, ISO 100.. there is another number 30MM but I have no idea what that is..

30mm is the focal length at which the image was shot. The blur is a result of your long shutter speed (1/20 of a second). Generally speaking 1/30 is the absolute lowest speed for hand-holding, unless you're especially skilled. To be frank however, I don't see a lot that I would call "stunning" in the image; it rather seems to be an unexciting shot of a street and lacking any main subject. What was it that you found so attractive?

Oh, it WAS on a tripod..
Stunning was sarcasm.
I was very limited on what I could photograph. I really was looking for a dark area with little light. But I am in Los Angeles, and felt it wouldn't be safe to do alone.

Shutter speed of 1/20 might have something to do with it, Motion blur is not going to be evident in the view finder.Use a tripod and cable release for slow shutters. even on a tripod a cable release or self timer should suffice.

30mm is the focal length at which the image was shot. The blur is a result of your long shutter speed (1/20 of a second). Generally speaking 1/30 is the absolute lowest speed for hand-holding, unless you're especially skilled. To be frank however, I don't see a lot that I would call "stunning" in the image; it rather seems to be an unexciting shot of a street and lacking any main subject. What was it that you found so attractive?

Its was the invisible dog pissing on the Fire Hydrant across the way.

Its was the invisible dog pissing on the Fire Hydrant across the way.
D'ohhhhhhh... I always miss those invisible dogs!

I don't see any motion blur. I just see a totally out-of-focus image.

All of your focus areas are indicated which I think means your camera was in AF-C. The camera then will focus on whichever area that provides the most contrast. (I think that is how it does it)

So what has happened, IMO, is your camera focused on a portion of the curb across the street, leaving everything else out of focus. Now that isn't necessarily all bad, but with your aperture set to f3.5, that cuts down on the depth of field, making sure that most of the scene will be out of focus.

If you try this again, set the camera to AF-S, and select the focus area that you wish to be the main area of focus. Then, stop down more to say f8 or even smaller to increase the DOF. Make sure the camera doesn't move while you release the shutter. (I often use an inexpensive cable release when I've got my camera on a tripod.)

Naturally the exposure time will be longer, so also make sure there is no other movement, such as wind or traffic vibrations which will cause motion blur.

I'd vote for out of focus and guess that the camera was trying to focus but couldn't find any edges to focus on when the shutter was pressed.
I would have shifted to manual focus and manual mode, set speed, ISO-100 and f-stop with camera on a tripod and fired with the remote.
Agree though that it's just an exercise, not a stunning picture.

This is easy... just tell everyone you meant for this to be an "impressionistic" photograph. They'll think you're a brilliant artist!

;-)

When you half press your shutter release the camera will give you a focus confirmation telling you that it has in fact locked focus on something.

A very common mistake I see, and my friend used to do this all thee time, is people don't understand the AF process and what, exactly, is supposed to happen. As a result they aim the camera then simply punch the shutter release fully, not allowing the camera the few milliseconds required for the AF system to work. The result usually looks a great deal like your picture above.

Maybe that's what you are doing.

Auto-focus does NOT mean "focus on what I'm looking at."

That 1/20th or 20 seconds? Seems awful dark outside to be 1/20th.

Being nighttime I'm thinking 20 seconds. I believe it's part missed focus and part shallow dof. Looks like focus may have been around the mailbox somewhere.

When I shoot at night I use live view and enlarge my subject area and focus manually. Then fire the shutter with a remote or use the self timer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back