These Shining Seas

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by ShutteredEye, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sailboat shot from the overlook on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge, near San Francisco last November.

I kept coming back to this picture in my archives b/c there was just something about it that I liked. I kept trying to saturate the water to be a bright blue, but it never worked. So today, I thought, what about a hazy sunset look? Let me know if it works for you.

400iso/300mm, don't remember av/tv settings, scanned from film negative. Vignetting is in camera, levels adjusted only.

[​IMG]

2. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

if it were mine i would burn the highlighted portion of the water just a bit and see what happens. is it possible to tone the boat down....seems a bit blown. it's definitely worth the effort. the idea of blue saturation sounds nice too.

3. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    agreed... love the vignetting and I like the warmth the orange gives to the photo. It has a nice lazy or dreamy afternoon feel

4. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok I darkened the picture a tad over all and boosted the contrast a hair. I tried burning a bit, but I can't quite get the hang of it. What pattern to use? How dark? Create a "shadow" behind the boat?

And I know the boat feels blown, but it's what I've used to set my white balance, so I can't seem to get it to cool off, so to speak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a feeling this is just my lack of PS skills as opposed to bad suggestions! LOL!!!

OTE, and I can post the original if need be.

5. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

I also turned the water blue.

To get the white not so bright I used selective color in PS set to absolute selected white and added +5 to the black slider and to even out the orange cast I used hue/saturation adjustment layer set it to colorize then used the mask to remove the boat.

To get the blue water I did the above mentioned then ran another Hue/saturation adjustment layer and just changed to a blue I liked.

Hope this helps

6. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Cool thanks!