They are trusting me with their newborn!

Natural_Disaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My best friends want me to take some photos of their newborn! Yikes!
My fault for saying i need a "test subject" lol.
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for settings i should try..
The basic layout will be this...
In home...Only lighting will be house lights (i do have two work lights i can use if need be)...black backdrop...white backdrop...And a room about 24 foot long.
Equipment-Nikon D5000....Regular built in flash....Lens-AF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G & AF-S 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G
I want to take all the photos in Manual.
I am wanting to be able to get the black and white backgrounds "blurred" enough that they actually appear black and white and not streaked.
Should i have the baby right in front of the backdrop? Further away from it? What if the baby is lying on it? Should i be close to the baby or further away?
I want to be able to crop as well, so i know i need to allow space for that..
I know it probably really depends on a lot of factors once i start shooting, but i was hoping to maybe get some ideas.
I feel like such an idiot really for asking. I'm just now really getting an understanding of Apreture, DOF, and all that good stuff.
They want to at least get 3 or 4 good ones they can possibly frame...
#1 is a quick test shot i took of my niece last week with a mulit colored background. I had to B&W it because it wasn't "smooth" enough to seem like a background. I'm hoping the baby shots will turn out 100% better.
#2 is one i took of my dog...had to do some editing to get the background more smooth as well.
I definitely need better focus.

4335660823_201059fe39_o.jpg

4330618117_db52a61a04_o.jpg

Dang, a 50mm f/1.4, and 100mm f/2 are what I use for babies... kit lenses may be a bit hard to use with just a stock flash, call me crazy but shop lights may help you out. I can't give to much advice since I am relatively a noob also, most of my equipment and lenses I use for Video Production, that's a whole other animal... All I can say is try the search feature on here you can find some good posts on baby/infant photography I am sure.

BTW other noobs, please see how this member posted their question, very informational! Thanks Natural D. :thumbup:

no suggestions, but where are you in NC? Wilmington myself.

my sister just had her baby last wednesday so ive been practicing myself. i need lights :(

4346887081_6a97f20f84_o.jpg

well, i will say this. make the baby comfortable. most likely itll be a little too warm for you guys but babies like warmth so crank the heat up. also it all depends on what you wanna do. sleeping/awake? when my nephew is really tired its easier to get him to stay in one spot bc he will fall asleep and just let us move him in the position we want. awake on the other hand... lol.

The further your baby is from the background, the more blur you'll get.

Here is a good thread showing how Farrah does her infant work.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/190903-pullbacks-set-ups-hth.html

Photo 1&2.. AHh.

Pull your subject away from the background, use natural light from a window if you have it, use a car windshield shade thing to bounce light (they're cheap), zoom in on them with your 55-200, when you're set up, set a custom white balance if you are using mixed lighting (IE work lights), then shoot in raw. Avoid using your cameras flash, but if you do, adjust your flash compensation to tone it down a bit and shoot in manual. Also place some tissue over the flash to diffuse it a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back