They want to use my photo but want the file

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by kymm, Mar 22, 2010.

1. kymm

kymm TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Help!
    Was just e-mail about a photo I have for sale on line. The e-mail is from a museum in North Carolina they are asking to use my photo for a display.
    They are also asking for the hi res file to be sent to them.
    I have never sold a file out right only prints I don't know what to charge(they asked). I also want to make sure they only use the print for display and nothing else. I want to still have the copy rights.
    How do I go about this? and what price should I ask for?
    Thanks
    Kymm

2. TheSolicitor

TheSolicitor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Make sure in your sales agreement you outline specifically what you are selling them: the right to PRINT and DISPLAY the photograph, not the rights to the photograph itself for them to do with what they will for the rest of time without royalty to you. When you hand over the FILE often many courts will see that as a relinquishment of the artistic rights to a photograph, but if you make your intent clear in an agreement with the museum or group that wants to display the photograph that you are not relinquishing your rights, you are protecting yourself, your trade, and your skills.

If you have more questions, fire me a PM. I hope this helps!

3. Fusion

Fusion TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good advice...:wav:

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    How much you charge depends on how, how long, and at what size they would be displaying your photo.

Further considerations would be how the museum is funded (private, public, or both) and if they have 501(c) status (tax-exempt, nonprofit corporation or association) or not.

Many companies and non-profits are persuing amateur photographs because it gives them a huge advantage since they know how pricing works and amateurs are essentially taken advantage of.

It allows them to get the use of images for fractions of a penny on the dollar relative to their real worth.