Thickening the developer?

rbaek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Everybody.

I like to experiment a lot in the B&W-darkroom.
At the moment im working with different concentrations of developer. I am thickening them using cornstarch, though it doesn't really seem to do the job as well as I would like it to.

Do any of you, have any experiences with any types of thickening agent for developer??? Something transparent that works at low temperatures.

Thanks,
Rasmus

why would you thicken a developer?.

the developer has to move over the film in random fashion and i am having a hard time visually seeing a thick solution doing that.

have you experiment with different ratios of developers ?

Hey Ann.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i work with different ratios. I am applying the developer to the paper using brushes, eye-dropper etc. so im looking for a way to thickening the developer to have more control of the image.

/Rasmus

Maybe if you tried a cooking forum ...

cornstarch, arrow root, or maybe water that comes from boiling potatos or pasta--all proven cooking tricks for thickening liquids. I mean, if you're making gravy or soup, I can see a need to thicken the liquid in the case of cooking, but why would you need to thicken the "soup" you develop your prints in? I don't get it...

I would think that the "residue" in cornstarch would contaminate the developer, to the point that it would ruin the prints?

J.:mrgreen:

why not just use "chemical painting" on the print after the exposure?

I have often painted developer on a print but I don't thicken the developer. Get a good artist brush with thick bristles. Works great.

I think gelatin is your best bet. Take a small amount of your print developer, heat it up to 125F +/-, and add powdered gelatin, allow to cool. You'll have to experiment to find the best ratio of gelatin to developer, but you like to experiment, right?

I think I read somewhere about someone using a similar technique for selective toning or bleaching, but I don't remember the details.

Good luck!

Jay

Plain unflavored gelatin (AKA Agar) at 100°F is all you'll need. Do some experimenting to see just how thick you want it once cooled.

Don't let your friends have any thinking they are jello shots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back