Thievepal war cemetery

JonathanM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On a recent holiday to france we visited the Thievepal war memorial & cemetary, in an area of the Somme that was the front line during the Battle of the Somme in the Great War.

_4200077_edited-1.jpg

i think this image really needs a border of some sort, something I havn't quite got around to doing.

d8b79e8b.jpg

The second image was taken within the grounds of the memorial. It caught my eye in a quiet corner. I've no idea why the poppy was placed theer, I didn't look to see if there was a name or a writen remembrance on it. The whole area is very thought provoking, with many lives lost in a prolonged battle over a number of months to gain a few hundred yards. the saddest part is the fact that so many graves are un- named, the soldiers bodies being unidentifiable. Very sad.

Unknown soldiers are always a part of war. It's odd that the rank is noted on the one stone (captain). Good capture.

fredcwdoc said:
Unknown soldiers are always a part of war. It's odd that the rank is noted on the one stone (captain). Good capture.

I assume that on his body some form of rank ID was found, probably shoulder "pips", but no ID of name, or even regiment, as some graves are marked as completely unkown, some with a regiment, some with a rank, or both. To see a grave identifying by name is the exception.

i like the perspective and dof of the first shot... very nice :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back