thin filters as protective gear

mhafweet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matchlessmemories.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've buying a Nikon 18-200mm lens (like everyone else, I know) and I'm checking out UV filters for it. I have my eye on a normal B+W 2C 72mm.

Here's the link:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/B-W-Violet-Coated-Filter/dp/B0000BZL9J/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1236147073&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: B & W 72mm UV (Ultra Violet) Haze Multi Coated (2C) Glass Filter #010: Camera & Photo[/ame]

However, someone with a 18-200mm said about this filter, "The only problem is that the ring is so thick that on my camera I get vignetting in the corners of most of my photos." (first question... is this really due to the filter or the lens? Does anyone have this lens?)

Theoretically if it is the filter, this thin filter should solve the problem:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/B-W-Violet-Coated-Filter/dp/B0000BZL9L/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t]Amazon.com: B + W 72mm UV (Ultra Violet) Haze Wide Angle Slim Mount Multi Coated (2C) Glass Filter: Electronics[/ame]

However, part of the reason I want the filter is to protect my lens in case I'm stupid enough to drop it. Would a thin filter give me the same "my lens is dust by my lens is unscathed" kind of protection?

To be honest, I always thought that vignetting from UV filters was due to poor quality. The B+W filters are supposedly pretty amazing, and you are picking up a multi-coated filter. More than anything else, usually people point at optics design when it comes to vignetting. I think when you have such a big range from 18-200, the chances of vignetting are definitely going to be greater than say 70-200.

I would think that the normal thickness of a typical B+W ought to be fine. More than anything else, just be extra careful and avoid a UV filter altogether.

A while back I bought a thin mount UV filter as protection for my Nikkor 18-200 lens. I don't use it anymore because it's a hassle. Every time I want to mount my polarizer or graduated ND filter, I have to take the UV filter off first or I get hard vignetting, especially at the wider focal lengths.

Depending on the height, chances are if you drop the lens onto a hard surface it's going to be toast anyway.

I wouldn't bother with a filter for protection. If you feel you really need one, get the thin mount. At 18mm on my 18-200mm lens, I get some vignetting with a normal filter. The only difference between a thin mount and regular is the thickness of the mount itself, not the glass. Another thing to consider is most thin mounts don't have threads on the front. This becomes a problem when you want to use lens caps.

You might check out the Hoya Pro1D series filters as they are thin mounts with front threads.

Most reactions

Back