Thin vs. regular filters

dgore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just bought a Tokina 12-24 lens. It was suggested to buy a Hoya PRO1 THIN UV filter for this lens.

I am also wanting to get new filters for two of my other lens and am wondering should I but regular or thin. Right now I have the cheapest I could find on them. Now I am ready to also get PRO1 so I have multicoating.

The reason for a thin filter on your Tokina is because it's a very wide angle lens. At 12mm, there is a strong chance of vignetting, and anything on the front of your lens will increase that chance. The thinner, the better. What other focal lengths do you have? As long as you aren't stacking, regular thickness filters should be ok for most lenses.

I have a Tamron 24-135 and a Sigma 70-300 APG DG. Any help would be appreciated.

In addition to stacking filters you may not be able to fit the standard lens cap on the filter (i.e. you need a rubber one that goes over the end of the lens instead of attaching to the filter ring inside).

24 mm focal length are from my experience just about where i have to use a slim filter ... on 35mm full frame that is ...

That is one thing I checked. The Hoya thin filters have front threads and will hold the regular lens cap. I don't think this is true of all brands.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back