Things Happen - Dropped a D3S yesterday

Yeah, I carry my D700, gripped and 70-200 or 24-70 with the RS-7 and never noticed it loosening or binding but I don't feel as confident now that I've read this. Doubtful contacting the mfg will benefit, but have you tried?

I've had my RS-Sport on my D3s for over a year and it has never once just fallen off. Or even come close to it. I always moisten the mount a little before screw it in. When it dries it creates an even tighter seel. And once I hook it on the caribeaner I use the caribeaner for torque and tighten further.

Just out of curiosity OP did you have the plastic washer on?

Yes, the washer was on. it was tight, moistened per manufacturer recommendation. Out of all my straps this one binds more than the others, the part that rotates is pretty worn out now (after 2 years of use) I'll be trashing it and getting a new one.

This is not the first time this has happened with a BR strap, it's rare but be aware.

I've had my RS-Sport on my D3s for over a year and it has never once just fallen off. Or even come close to it. I always moisten the mount a little before screw it in. When it dries it creates an even tighter seel. And once I hook it on the caribeaner I use the caribeaner for torque and tighten further.

Well it never happened to my wife or I either. Only takes once. I'll be making some changes to ensure this never happens again.

As the author of the blog post (and Blair's better half :p), allow me clarify what happened.

Sitting in a chair, I attached the strap to the camera. Clipped in and locked the caribeener by twisting it until it covered the piece of the clasp that flips open on the caribeener. The lock I am talking about keeps it from flipping open, or is supposed to anyway. It was tight. I checked twice because I'm paranoid ocd about these kinds of things.

Stood up, walked outside, and about 10 minutes later after having it sitting at my side (i took maybe two photos), the twisty locking mechanism that keeps the clip from opening unscrewed itself. My cellphone rang and I reached for it, at which point the caribeener clip opened and the camera fell off the clip. The "fastenr" attachment was still securely connected to the camera. I sat astonished wondering how it happened - like just having seen the magic trick with two "solid" metal rings somehow detach from each other. After inspection, the clip had opened because the screw-closed locking mechanism failed (unscrewed) leaving the clip vulnerable and thus the camera insecure.

So the failure is not with the metal or the entire clip or the fastenr, it was with the locking mechanism on the clip. It unscrews too easily. It was just general activity that loosened it. It does not lock tight enough when screwed up over the clip opening point. Once failed and unscrewed (which happens too easily), the clip is vulnerable to opening unexpectedly. One wrong movement, and the camera (fastenr happily attached) can fall to the ground :x. head first :grumpy:.

And of course I was at a workshop, so after the occurrence, multiple female photographers came up to me and told me that they had similar problems with their RS-W1s (but not with their men's version, which I have also used extensively and never had a problem with). The female strap was a recent purchase because, well, in a word - boobs.

So yes, this could have been fixed easily with a piece of gaff tape or duct tape, but after trusting in the brand through previous experience with RS-4s, I never thought it was possible or probable. I will ALWAYS use tape in the future even with my RS-4, but clearly there is a design flaw if the clip's screw-lock can come undone so quickly and so easily.

And there's the rub with trust placed in a brand like Blackrapid...you are left vulnerable when their designs or production come up short compared to the rest of their products.

Cheers,
April

I personally am not comfortable with the idea of strap screwing to the bottom mount. Not that I don't trust the mechanism, but it's for another reason.

I've had a camera fell off a tripod because the tripod mount failed. I did not have the strap on my neck at that time, which would have saved it. So from then on, I ALWAYS have the strap around my neck even, and especially, when the camera is on the tripod unless I am doing a very long exposure.

So the idea of having to remove the strap in order to mount my camera on a tripod doesn't make sense to me, given that my tripod mounting plate is always on the camera for convenience sake.

I've always used standard strap with my camera. I like the old designs better because they use real fabric weavings as opposed to nylon. Fabric offers more friction. The older straps also have stainless steel strap adjusters, which means they don't break like the plastic ones do. Another thing I do to make it slip-proof is to sew the ends of the strap to make a permanent secured loop. Actually, it's not permanent because you can still cut the thread if you want to remove the strap. The only thing that can fail now is the triangular ring that the strap loops through, which I want to trust the camera companies to have done a good job making it extra fail safe.

Having to replace the magnesium body sounds like you are better off getting a new camera.... I mean, if a car has a damaged chassis, it's done regardless of the condition of the engine, transmission etc. Right?

MolestedCow the BR straps are aimed at shooters handholding, hiking, event etc. not tripod mounting.

AprilW, thank you for the clear description, I now understand fully what happened. Had the spring on the snap loosened up so much over 2 years? I struggle getting that darn thing off the mount when I want to. Sounds like a freak but unfortunate accident.

How much is the repair, if you don't mind sharing? Have you contacted BR?

Get a wrist strap? Straps always make me uneasy. I had an optech strap that I used but hated it made me uncomfortable when the camera would hang there. I decided to add caribeeeners to my sling pack strap and I use those to strap in the camera when not in use when it is I use a clik elite wrist strap. The camera doesn't flop around as there are two points of connection.

Hate to hear it!
I have had 2 RS7 straps for sometime holding my heaviest setup with no problems... Just wanted to give a good report with all these negative ones.

I will however check the clasp more often now.

Same here....I have had no problems whatsoever.

For those of you freaked out about buying a Black Rapid strap because of the OP's unfortunate incident...remember, whatever strap you buy there is someone, somewhere posting an incident on a forum about how the strap you are using or about to buy failed and how their gear hit the ground. Stuff happens. The best you can do is hope that any issues you hear about are not systemic in nature.

To the OP...sorry about your camera. Hope you get it back soon and that the repair bill is not heart attack inducing.

Hate to hear it!
I have had 2 RS7 straps for sometime holding my heaviest setup with no problems... Just wanted to give a good report with all these negative ones.

I will however check the clasp more often now.

Same here....I have had no problems whatsoever.

For those of you freaked out about buying a Black Rapid strap because of the OP's unfortunate incident...remember, whatever strap you buy there is someone, somewhere posting an incident on a forum about how the strap you are using or about to buy failed and how their gear hit the ground. Stuff happens. The best you can do is hope that any issues you hear about are not systemic in nature.

To the OP...sorry about your camera. Hope you get it back soon and that the repair bill is not heart attack inducing.

Well said and very true..

I'm not going to look at the repair bill, just pay it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back