Things Must be Tough

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by pbelarge, Jul 19, 2010.

1. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know this is not the proper forum, but most people frequent here. I am curious if they are experiencing what I am in regards to the economy.

I am not interested in politics here, just the economic situation.

I am getting a lot of emails from the vendors I have allowed to send them to me.
    I am seeing "free upgrade through the rest of the year", "90% off", etc...

Locally the construction industry is at an all time high in unemployment, much higher than any other sector.

Local stores are closing faster this summer than in the winter - this is alarming!!

A County bank has closed it's doors, and there is a big Auction sign plastered across the front of the building. (I know, this is a record year for bank closings)

The small guy seems to be taking the brunt of this economy...what do you guys see out there?

2. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    Folks in the US selling camera gear on eBay do not seem hungry as most will only ship within the US, excluding many potential buyers.

3. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I'm pretty lucky, I live in a smaller town here in Florida. They claim we are #2 in unemployment. Best buy is always packed. Photo stores always have a wait for customer service. I'm makeing the most money I have ever made to date. When I started this position I had 4 other offers for employment. I know some people the have business in the services field and the are booming. Not to say Its all media because it happening but like I said maybe lucky...

4. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    From what I have seen small business is taking the majority of the hits. I have watched multiple small delis and privately owned restaurants close their doors over the summer, while multiple bigger chains open. I don't know how the big chains are doing, but from what I've talked about with a few of the smaller businesses (almost all food) they are hurting very bad right now.

However on the flip side I have been seeing media based companies doing decently. Print shops around here haven't been doing amazing but they also aren't hurting. The couple of sign vendors I use are doing better than normal ( I would assume this is due to an influx of places going out of business ).

To be honest, I have seen both sides all over the place. Some small business are doing just fine and others are drowning, and a select few doing better than ever! I can't really put my finger on what is going on, but that could be because I only know about the food industry and print based media. As far as photography, the luxury photographers are hurting very bad while the commercial ones are having little problem. The wedding photographers I know have noticed a slight decline in business but nothing threatening.

5. flyingember

flyingember TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you're more likely to be talking to a scammer if you sell outside the US

6. rusty9

rusty9 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    all i have to say is:
    that's what people get for voting for obama

7. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmm...I opened my business 10 months ago.
    I can't keep up with the work flow, working 70 hours a week.
    I hit the ground running and am now having to turn away potential clients.
    :thumbup:

The economy certainly is an interesting beast.
    I make/sell/repair a purely luxury item. Go figure.

Good job in not making this political. :er:

8. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I work for a company that gives loans and business consultation for small and medium sized companies. While we had to review our risk policies, we have never had more people knocking at our door.

And generally, the economic crisis hasn't hit Canada as hard as the US

9. rusty9

rusty9 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i just want to stir people up :mrgreen:

10. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm in the building industry, sheetrock specifically.

Three years (?) ago, about this time of year, the floor dropped out. Our output dropped 60% over the course of two weeks. WEEKS, not months. I went on vacation and we had been shipping about 2000 sheets of 'rock a day, when I got back there were 3 trucks sitting and we were shipping less than 1000 a day. I've never seen anything like it.

We're currently sitting at 6 delivery people, prior to the crash, we were running 17.

We're seeing some pick-up this summer, but it's mostly summer pick-up, nothing of substance. The few houses that are going up are 80 sheeters versus the old 200-250 sheet houses we used to see. Thank god for basement remodels, in-law apartments, bonus rooms over garages and additions, or we and all our contractors would be out of business.

It won't get better this year, and I really don't see much hope for next year. Maybe the year after that, but I don't know what will bring that on. People who have the money already have what they want and nobody else can afford anything.

Avoiding the political aspect of the discussion, the policy direction of the past 50 to 70 years of concentrating wealth at the top may just come back to bite us in the ass.

11. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lame

12. Steve01

Steve01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're breaking all the usual rules. ;)
    A new business is usually struggling the first 12 to 18 months and like you said, you're selling a luxury item in a near recession.

I was an electrical contractor and even before this economy tanked I started to see problems in the construction industry.
    It was cutthroat then with contractors getting cheap labor, I can't imagine what it's like now competing for even less work.

But I retired three years ago and couldn't be happier.
    Now I read and take pictures. :)