Things overheard at a bridal show

It all depends on the total price shes paying for the whole wedding, and what hes charging.

if hes trying to charge her 50% of the whole wedding cost I would have to agree

Then she can hire Tom Sawyer to white warsh her fence for an apple. :)

I think it's outrageous what people spend on a wedding. Let's just have it in the basement. We can move the pool table and order pizza.

Amen to that, Matt. It is not only senseless to me but almost criminal. My wife and I were married in a simple civil ceremony in the judge's chamber and we threw a little party for the family at her mother's house. The food was home cooked and excellent. Everyone had a great time. We've been married for 35 years so the cost of the wedding sure didn't indicate the potential success of the marriage. It is the marriage that matters, not the wedding.

Hear, hear. :thumbup: We're on year #21, and who'd have thunk it, since we rented a small chapel, only sprung for the traditional flowers, cake and photographer, with about 30 people crammed into the in-laws' house for the reception and home-cooked food.

Never should have made it this far.

We got out of the wedding photography biz awhile back, but last count that we knew of there were 3 divorces from weddings we'd shot - the last one was a bride calling us 3 years after we shot her first wedding to shoot her second one. Now, that's a referral! :lol:

My wife and I were married in a simple civil ceremony in the judge's chamber and we threw a little party for the family at her mother's house. The food was home cooked and excellent. Everyone had a great time. We've been married for 35 years...

Congrats. Ours was similar, although we're only up to 5 years so far. I did the photography with a Speed Graphic. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone though.

I know that at least 4 out of the 27 weddings I did in 2006 are getting a divorce already. In 2004 I had a couple separate before they even picked up the proofs (within 2 weeks). That's why I get paid in advance.

My favorite wedding and reception that I ever did was for a couple who where over thirty probably closer to forty. The wedding was small and of course I finished at the church quickly. The best thing is that it started on time.

I went to a small converted house which had several uses including a church service the next morning. It was a low cost banquet hall that day.

In I go dragging my camera and huge light behind me. the place has people standing around the walls three deep. They cant stand in the middle of the room because it is filled with table heaped with real food.

I'm talking three platters of homemade chicken. Green beans cooked southern country style. Till they are dark and almost mush. Half the jello salad ever made was on those table. Just about every kind of desert you would find in any good southern restaurant.

I literally could not believe the amount and variety of food. So of course being the no class hack photographer I am, I had to ask. "How much did this spread cost you guys."

"Not a thing, Ed and I both have houses and both have furniture we need to consolidate. We have one of everything and two of most things," The bride informed me. "We put a note in the invitation saying please no gifts, but if you would like you can bring a covered dish to the wedding."

And they did. The bride's sister and a couple of her aunts spent the entire morning finding places for all the food.

Now, there are three classic rules wedding photographers should live by.

1. Don't eat their food.

2. Don't drink their liquor.

3. Don't flirt with the women. I broke two of them that afternoon. Like I said it was a church the next day.

I have to say while on principle I can agree with the simpler the better when it comes to weddings (mine was similar to the previously discussed weddings) I as a photographer and my wallet very much appreciate the kind of money the current crop of brides are investing in their day and can only hope this trend continues to go on and on.

My son in law shares your feelings I know.

Since I'm retried, I think there is a sales tool there as well. I think that if a bride were to call me and say I have been quoted all this huge charges, I would ask her just like the bride did. "Does that include painting the ceiling, Michael?"

Everyone isn't going to be able to pay that ten k for a wedding. An awful lot are going to be paying under 1k. There is a place for both kinds of shooters. From the hack to the artist there is room in the tent for everyone,

The trick in my opinion is to keep the services down to what you are being paid to do. Ten hours production on a thousand dollar wedding is way too much time for too little return.

signed
local hack.

With all due respect that ladies quote is Hysterical! I know nothing from weddings. None the less I get the same deal on this end. It's like pay it or don't. Key is to quickly write them off and move on to the next potential client.

mysteryscribe,

by breaking two of the "three classic rules wedding photographers should live by", don't you think the "no class hack photographer" should be in Caps?

by breaking two of the "three classic rules wedding photographers should live by", don't you think the "no class hack photographer" should be in Caps?

If you eliminate hack photogs, you eliminate at least half the professional photographers that ever existed in any photography field. ;)

EDIT: Oh, I misunderstood the post! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back