Think I found the lens I want, advice needed

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ScubaSteve, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK, I recently bought a Digital Rebel XT and already have a standard zoom lens, but I would LOVE a telephoto lens and I am currently eying the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. Is there anyone who has used one who can give me input about my selection? Or could I go with a shorter lens? Thanks in advance.

(I was also wondering if it is compatible with the camera; do I need an EF-S lens instead?)

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haven't used that lens, but yes - it's compatible with your camera. You can use EF or EF-S lenses.

For about $50 more you could get the 70-200 f/4L. You wouldn't have IS, but other than that it's a great lens. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between 200mm & 300mm.

Here's a pretty in-depth review of the 70-300. Seems like it would be a decent choice.

edit-
    Not trying to talk you out of it with that quote, just thought you might like to know what some other options were.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input; I was just reading reviews about the 70-200L and it seems like a pretty bad-ass lens with superb optics; however it seems a bit too conspicuous and would really enjoy image stabilization (I am one of those 'shaky hands' people and I rarely use a tripod unless I'm shooting lightning). The comments from people on Amazon reviewing both lenses seem torn in between the two (sort of like I am right now), I see many people arguing that the optics are far better on the L lens (as they should be) but after seeing sample photos from both cameras, I can't tell a difference unless it is an extremely cropped sample from a 300mm shot (right down to the pixels).

Decisions, decisions....... :confused:

4. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    All of the photos in this album were shot with the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens under some harsh lighting conditions by a noob (me):
    http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/JustAnEngineer/Zoo/

These are untouched 1936 x 1288 "Small JPEG" images straight out of my EOS 40D.

For the Otter pics, I really wished that I had not left the circular polarizer back in the car.