Think there will ever be "vintage digital cameras?

The majority of older film cameras are worthless and resigned to the trash heap too, particularly those marketed towards amateurs. Certain brands and models remain popular and retain value, but there are loads of fully functional film cameras on Ebay that won't even sell for $5. I collect old cameras, and my collection contains many 60s, 70s, and 80s Nikons, Canons, Pentaxs, etc... yet there are models by those manufacturers from that time period that I wouldn't waste the shelf space on even if they were given to me for free.

A Nikon F is a classic; a Nikon EM or N60 is a whole lot less exciting.

I am thinking of the comedian that has a bit about going into an antique furniture store in 100 years and finding a priceless laminated pressboard computer desk from the brick, only 7 million of them ever made.

I was also thinking how would you use one in the future. It would be like Eric Cartman trying to hook up a Wii 500 years in the future. Nothing compatible to plug it into. Any non-Southpark fans may not get the reference.

My Fuji finepix 4800 was almost an antique, until it quit working and I threw it away. :lol:

Vintage digital cameras? Does anyone know what the first digital camera was?

The Casio QV-10A was the very first digi-cam that I saw in the stores. Can't even remember what year that was. I think I had pictures from 1995 from it as I'm pretty sure I got the camera just after I bought the computer. I have it in my hands right now. I'm too lazy to go upstairs to get batteries to put in it. Last time I checked, it still worked. I have some pictures on it from way back as well since I have long lost the serial plug to transfer the images.

I have the old Casio, a Fuji Finepix 2650 (was a very nice snapshooter), a Nikon Coolpix 880 (hand-me-down for the kids), and my current Fuji S700/5700.

I have to remember tomorrow to look at the pics that are on the Casio now.

Do you think todays digital cameras will last long enough ,durability wise to be sold on ebay in 30 years as vintage cameras? Similar how we buy old 70's canons today?

Yes and here's one of them.

Primary Features of The EOS/DCS 3:

* Combines Canon's top-of-the-line EOS-1N with Kodak's latest DCS technology.
* Fully compatible with Canon EF lenses for unmatched picture quality.
* Large buffer memory (16 MB) for continuous shooting up to 12 exposures at
framing rates of up to 2.7 images per second.
* High resolution 16.4mm x 20.5mm, 1.3 megapixel CCD sensor (1268 x 1012 pixels)
Now some may laugh at a 1.3mp DSLR but this was a $16,000 camera when it was introduced in 1995. I think the biggest problem will be finding batteries for some of these. :lol:

No I don't think people will be looking for a QV-### 320 x 180 camera. :thumbdown: Same reason you won't find people looking for a disk camera or 128 camera. It's just not the same as "old" sheet film and roll film cameras.

Some of the original high end digital cameras may attract some interest, but P&S will be like collecting Polaroid cameras (can't get film for them) or Instamatics (can't get the K battery anymore) and some people actually do that, just for the fun of it.

With the old box cameras and bellows cameras of the 20s and 30s, you used to be able to shoot with them and get some interesting photos. Now you can't find film. It was fun while it lasted.

So lets add to this discussion. Which digitals (if any) will have the potential to be collectors items?

I'll go first,

Epson R-D1. (first digital rangefinder. best blend of classic and new design concepts)
Kodak DC40 (Early digital camera. Probably just a display item by now)
Sony Mavica
Leica M8
Canon 5D (affordable full frame, long-running success)
Canon G1 (One of the early players of high end P&S)
Minolta 7D (I think.. first in body IS DSLR)
Agreed, esp. R-D1, M8 (just because it's Leica) and the Canon 5D. The Minolta should get it, but will probably get lost in history. The DC40 is already a collectible.

Also, within the Leica universe, the Digilux 2.

Minolta A-1 DiMAGE- the first do-it-all 'prosumer' with sensor-shift IS. Biased because I have one...

The Minolta should get it, but will probably get lost in history.

Probably right... most people usually think Canon or Nikon when they think of the first in-body AF camera. They forget it was Minolta 7000 (Pentax, ME-F was first but it was a failure).... another camera probably lost in history.

I have both... Minolta 7000 and the Pentax ME-F in my cabinet. A lot of people ask why I keep them in my collection without knowing their history.

Speaking as someone who collects old computers, and as someone who has been pretty close to vintage cars for a while, what I would say is that it's most likely that certain digital cameras will be considered valuable.

Those that are unique, or have somehow made a dent in history... those that had the technological innovation of their time, or maybe those that were "the camera used during the X era".

Discovered an Apple Quicktake 150 from 1994 hidden in a long forgotten cupboard the other day. Fully boxed with manuals and floppy disks . Excitement turned rapidly into disappointment as I realised there is no way it can be connected to our current computers - it uses a type of RS232 compatible interface that was fairly unique to Apple back then, and there's no way the software will run on a current machine.

I think this is the fate of "vintage digital cameras". Even if they're fully functional you'll need a fully functional vintage computer to be able to get the pictures off it.

I may be wrong but within ten years I believe USB, SD, Compact Flash will become as obsolete as the floppy disk is now - USB has already had a good 10 year run with an upgrade as well. There'll come a point where maintaining backward compatibility will get in the way of progress and we'll be looking at a newer faster better standard.

At least you can still get film for the vintage film cameras. For the moment at least.

Do doubt there will be vintage cameras, but most of them will certainly not work anymore since electronics tend to have a rather short lifespan compared to mechanical mechanisms.

I guess the real vintage cameras of the future could be cameras with an interchangeable back/sensor or otherwise modular systems. These are able to survive in the market for much longer as you can upgrade them further and further.

The longer product is in the market, the greater the chances to become "vintage-worthy" lateron. Same with products which were milestones.

A C64 in working condition would clearly be considered vintage these days, even though it is electronics.

I think it's extremely likely, with the sheere number of cameras being pumped out of manufacturers paired with todays marketing practices. There is likely going to be a good number of bodies that are bought by people who are not going to be able to grasp photography who wind up placing in the closet where their kids and grand kids find them years from now with under a hundred clicks on them.

They will prolly sell like the AE-1 does today, $25-$50 bucks'll get ya a fully functional SLR w/lens on E-Bay.

A C64 in working condition would clearly be considered vintage these days, even though it is electronics.

I gots me two of those! With monitors! :)

How many people are collecting Osborns, Commadors, IBM PC Juniors, etc.?

They are kind of like computers in that way.

Most reactions

Back