Thinking about buying darkroom equipment

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by Oculus, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Oculus

Oculus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Actually, I was thinking about buying a scanner as well, but from what I have seen they are very pricey. Which scanners would you recommend that can scan more than just 35mm negatives (so medium format, and so on)?

It sure looks great! Thanks!

2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

My experience is that a flatbed type scanner doesn't work well on negatives smaller than 120mm. I use a Plustek 8200 for 35mm and an Epson Flatbed V850 for 120mm. Both scanners are on the expensive side ... but I suspect there are less expensive alternatives. In the short run, setting up a wet darkroom will be less expensive, but in the middle and long run a scanner is less expensive with better results.

3. Oculus

Oculus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well honestly, at some point I am probably going to have a darkroom and a scanner. But right now it seems like a better idea to invest the money into a darkroom, although I wouldn't mind seeing some of pictures before I decide if they are worth printing or not, as it is quite time consuming.

How is the software for those scanners? I heard the Plustek 8200 is a really good scanner, but its software is a mess. Is that true?

4. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

It works well ... maybe a bit clunky and not all that intuitive. I'm no expert, but I heard with scanners it is all about the software.

5. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get Vuescan software. link ...... VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
    Although a wet print, in my opinion and 35 years doing this professionally, done properly is far superior to scanning and ink jet. A wet print will show you the full potential of a neg vs a scan/print.

6. Oculus

Oculus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the link! And I agree with what you said about the wet print. I got a few rolls of film developed at a pretty good place, and I asked them to print a few pictures (they scanned them and then printed them on nice paper). Even though the pictures look pretty good, the one wet print I did looks absolutely stunning and blows the store's prints out of the water.