Thinking about doing it for a business

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im a senior in high school right now and not a clue what i wanna do, i love photography and i havnt even started taking pictures for the class yet. I bought a manual camera and have been using it some, But my question is If i did decide to do it for a career is there money in it starting off? Like could i support my self after college doing portaits, weddings, sports would be awesome but i have heard that is hard to get into? and How hard is it to get into the field?

I'd get through the class before I decided to get into it. And you need a portfolio to get into it, can't just show someone a shiny camera and say you wanna take their wedding shots. :)

i no that lol, you don't have to be rude about it i was asking a simple question i plan to go to college first but it kinda helps to know these thins

"HI, I have just got my little portraiture business up and running and am loving every second of it. Basically offering to friends and family but already word of mouth is spreading and I have had several paid jobs already. I am self taught, books and internet mainly plus a short course by a professional photographer. One day I will go to college and complete my Diploma but for now it is not really do-able with 2 littlies.... so I am solely relying on my portfolio and word of mouth recommendations..and so far it seems to be working. If you have the passion and flair you should do well x goodluck

To add to the above, you have to know how to sell yourself. What makes you different then all other photographers; why should the client let you photograph their wedding and not a different photographer.

Make sure you know your style and how to incorporate it in your pictures. Let your creative and passion do the walking and people will notice.

Most important. Have fun!

I would think also see if you can get a part-time job (or even volunteer) at a studio to get some hands on skill and a chance to build your portfolio without having to have all your own equiptment.

i was thinking mabye after i take this class and go off to college to try to get a part time job or volunteer like u said at a wedding place or portait place

I didn't intend to be rude, but if I appeared to be I apologize. I just thought I would let you know a lot goes into it. Lots of people come on here with false expectations, and I don't want you to be surprised! I would recommend getting a job volunteering at a studio or somewhere, for experience. Also maybe if you're in high school (you may have already said this) get a job in yearbook or sports photography. That way you use others equipment!

It is simple really. If you have a passion for it make it part of your life. I suggest assisting while you go to a 4 year college. Of course photography is going to be your own personal journey.

I always like to say that it is a tough racket, but it pays well.

ya we i would really like to dosomethin with the school for the sport photography but we dont really have anything like that... and the yearbook staff is chosen like 2 years in advance so i cant really do that either. once i get outta high school (cause calc is killing me right now) i might try to find somewhere to try to apprentice with during college for little to no money

I have taken pictures all my life with P&S cameras on auto.

I made the jump in January of this year (2006 for those who read this at a later date) and I have gotten enough paid gigs from just word of mouth to pay for every cent I have put into my photo business.

This makes my wife happy. I started it off by taking money from the tax returns and I have gotten all that money back now.

Cheers,

Rashadan said:
I made the jump in January of this year (2006 for those who read this at a later date) and I have gotten enough paid gigs from just word of mouth to pay for every cent I have put into my photo business.

Wow! :shock:

Hardly anyone ever wants any of my photos, ever!
How do you do it?

Well I have to give props to a friend of mine first and foremost. He hooked me up with a gig and it made me $1000 in a 7 hour shoot, that was half my payoff right there. I have follow-up work with that coming as well.

I also got hooked in with some contract photography where I get a call to go shoot an event, I shoot the event, burn the images to CD and never see them again, $200 per shoot plus mileage and some commision for hawking his product.

It isn't really what I want to be shooting but it did pay for all my gear so far so I have to be thankful for that.

It has also given me a lot of practical experience in adjusting for changing situations. All and all it has been fun and I am glad that I have chosen to make my move into this as a profession, we shall see if it was the right move over time.

Most reactions

Back